Partick Thistle manager Ian McCall has insisted his players are "not doing the dirty work" well enough after the Jags' 3-0 defeat against Raith Rovers.

The result means the Firhill club remain fifth in the Scottish Championship, four points adrift of league leaders Ayr United.

And the Jags boss could not hide his frustration at full-time.

"To be honest, Rovers could have scored more in the first half, they looked like they could score every time they went up the park," he said.

"We were better in the second 45, but overall, Rovers were deserved winners.

"Two weeks ago, we were top of the league, but confidence has just been sapped away for some of the players.

"It was not good enough today, and I felt for our supporters."

The Maryhill club have now conceded 15 goals in their last four games, and McCall continued: "We are going through a period where every long shot ends up in the top corner, and deflections end up as own goals."

"Players are playing right now like we are flying, similar to how we were a few weeks ago, but we are not.

"You need to dig in and do the dirty work, which we are not doing at the moment."

The opening exchanges of the game were equal. 

It was eight minutes in that the first real opportunity came about.

Thistle’s Stuart Bannigan tested goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald from range, but the experienced shot-stopper was equal to it.

Only moments later, the deadlock was broken, and it was the home side that took the lead through a stunning strike from midfielder Aidan Connolly.

He picked the ball up outside the box and fired his shot into the top left-hand corner. 

It was a goal that gave Ian Murray's side plenty of confidence as they took control of the game.

The Kirkcaldy side had a few attempts that were dealt with by Jags keeper David Mitchell.

However, the pressure from the hosts continued, and it paid off at the half-hour mark when Connolly scored his second of the afternoon.

It was a well-worked long throw-in from forward Kyle Connell, which found the feet of the 27-year-old, and he finished it calmly into the net.

The game was then effectively over as a contest before half-time as Connell was once again involved, this time by winning a penalty, after the referee adjudged he was fouled by Thistle defender Tunji Akinola.

The on-loan Kilmarnock man then converted the spot kick to put Murray's men 3-0 up at the break.

Into the second 45 minutes and McCall made two changes at the break, which rejuvenated his side slightly.

Aaron Muirhead had an attempt cleared off the line as the Maryhill club enjoyed probably their best spell of possession in the opening stages of the second half.

Despite Raith Rovers keeper MacDonald fumbling the ball near the end, the Firhill side could not direct the ball goalwards.

That was as good as it got for the visitors, as the Kirkcaldy club ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Rovers boss Murray was full of praise for his players after the final whistle as the victory put his team just two points off the playoff positions.

He said: "It was a really good win and a really good first half from us football-wise.

"We passed the ball well, and it was a fantastic victory for us.

"The players are now getting their rewards for all the hard work they put in at the start of the season.

"We have goals across the team, and we are showing we are a good attacking side."