Scotland ended their Six Nations campaign in style last night, running in six tries against Ireland to make it two wins in eight days following the victory over Italy.

Ireland were the dominant team for much of the first half but only had three points to show for their pressure, and although they were in the contest for much of the second 40, in the end Scotland – playing in front of a record crowd for a home game – were too strong.

Ireland took a fifth-minute lead when stand-off Dannah O’Brien chipped over a penalty from just outside the 22 after the home defence had offended.

After a long period of attritional play in which Scotland steadily got on the front foot, the home side at last turned pressure into points just as the clock reached 40 minutes. A line-out drive was stopped just short of the line in the right corner, but the ball was recycled infield, and centre Meryl Smith powered her away over from a few metres out despite the best efforts of three defenders to stop her.

Helen Nelson’s conversion attempt missed, but it was still a morale-boosting score for Scotland. For Ireland, conversely, the concern at the break had to be their inability to turn considerable pressure into more than those three early points from the boot of O’Brien.

To give them their due, as the second half began the visitors showed no sign of being demoralised by the way in which they had lost the initiative just before the break. But Scotland had begun to play more confidently, and extended their lead with their first scoring chance of the half.

A penalty in midfield was sent to touch by Nelson, and from around 20 metres out the driving maul did its work. Lana Skeldon, the hooker who had scored two of her team’s five tries in the win over the Italians, executed coolly. Nelson again failed to convert, leaving her side only a full score in front.

The slender lead did not last long. Three times in quick succession Ireland were awarded penalties deep in Scots territory, and three times they sent the ball to touch. The defence did its job on the first two occasions, but the pressure told at last, and at the third time of asking Ireland captain Nicola Fryday finished off. O’Brien converted, and we were back all square at 10-10.

But this time it was Scotland’s turn to hit back quickly. A break by Smith took them deep into the Irish 22, and two phases later Leah Bartlett – who, like Skeldon, had got a brace a week earlier – claimed her team’s third try. Nelson was on target to restore her team’s seven-point advantage.

Then came the bonus-point try, and the best score of the night. Nothing looked on when McGhie received possession close to the left touchline and halfway, but the winger had different ideas as she outstripped the cover defence on the outside before cutting back inside and touching down unopposed. Nelson was on target again.

A touchdown by Malcolm in the closing minutes was chalked off by the TMO, but the captain was not to be denied, and barely 60 seconds later she forced her way over for her team’s fifth try, with Nelson once more converting.

Chloe Rollie added a sixth with the clock in the red. Nelson’s missed conversion ended the game.

Scorers, Scotland – Tries: Smith, Skeldon, Bartlett, McGhie, Malcolm, Rollie. Cons: Nelson 3.

Ireland – Try: Fryday. Con: O’Brien. Pens O’Brien.

Scotland C Rollie; C Grant, E Orr, M Smith (B Blacklock 76), F McGhie (E Musgrove 76); H Nelson, M McDonald (C Mattinson 56); L Bartlett (A Young 76), L Skeldon (J Rettie 76), C Belisle (E Clarke 76), J Konkel-Roberts, L McMillan (E Donaldson 71), R Malcolm (capt), R McLachlan (E Sinclair 71), E Gallagher.

Ireland L Delany; A Doyle (M Deely 69), A Dalton, V Irwin (A McGann 51), N Behan; D O’Brien, M Scuffil-McCabe (A Hughes 59); L Djougang (K Buggy 78), N Jones (C Nielson 78), C Haney (S McGrath 68), N Fryday (capt), S Monaghan, B Hogan (H O’Connor 65), G Moore (D Wall 16), D Nic a Bhaird.

Referee Sara Cox (England)

Attendance 4,862.