Refereeing a match between Rangers and Celtic is never an easy task.

But it's likely Steven McLean will be pleased with his afternoon's work at Ibrox having made it through the 90 minutes without any major flashpoints.

The official - supported by fourth official Don Robertson and VAR Greg Aitken - managed proceedings at Ibrox well without any serious controversy over his decision-making.

Just two yellow cards, no reds and no VAR intervention shows McLean got most of his calls right in the powderkeg fixture.

That's not to say the match passed without a few full-blooded challenges or close calls. From the first whistle a handful of strong, but fair, challenges were launched by players on both sides.

McLean allowed play to continue as much as possible, only reaching for his whistle when necessary and more for niggling fouls or the stopping of counter-attacks rather than on unwarranted occasions.  

After Rangers' opener through Todd Cantwell there were some appeals for offside from Celtic players - this was quickly turned away. And replays proved that to be correct.

One close call for Rangers came as the ball appeared to strike Connor Goldson's arm in the penalty area in the first half.

The centre-back was sliding to clear the ball and supporting his weight with his arm as the ball connected with his hand.

READ MORE: Jota hit by objects from Rangers stands in Celtic clash

McLean was unmoved despite faint appeals from Celtic players and staff - and the decision was backed by Aitken on VAR with no need for a look at the pitchside monitor.

On Sportsound, former whistle Bobby Madden explained that Goldson could not be punished for the 'handball' as it was not deliberate.

He said: "In that one, people will potentially say the arm is away from the body. But any supporting arm on the ground or the arm going to support the player on the ground is not considered deliberate handball so it is not a handball offence. VAR would have checked that and with that criteria, would have advised the referee it was the correct decision."

The only bookings of the afternoon came in the second half with Callum McGregor and John Lundstram going into the book.

McLean cautioned McGregor for a trip on Fashion Sakala with Lundstram penalised for a foul on 75 minutes. Neither could have any real complaints.

Todd Cantwell was perhaps fortunate to avoid a caution however after an accumulation of small fouls.

Referee McLean was required to hand over objects thrown onto the pitch during the match to fourth official Don Robertson - but he was swift in his action after Jota alerted him to the incident.

It was just McLean's second time in charge of a match between Rangers and Celtic with his first coming seven years ago.

But McLean managed the game well and could see himself handed the fixture in the future given the match coming and going without major refereeing incident.