Celtic has announced the Green Brigade’s two-match ban from Celtic Park has all but been lifted.

The move comes ten days after the club enforced the ban citing “serious incidents of unsafe behaviour” at their previous two home games.

The club also expressed their frustration over a pyrotechnic display during the final game of last season against Hearts.

Despite the ban being lifted for the majority of the ultra group’s members, the club has said it is still investigating events from the matches against Hearts and Linfield and a number of fans still remain suspended.

The club’s complete statement says: “Following recent safety issues in relation to the club’s matches against Heart of Midlothian and Linfield, and the subsequent two-match closure being announced, Celtic has today confirmed the majority of season ticket holders who occupy the front section of the rail seating area at Celtic Park will be able to re-enter the section after August 5, 2017.

“The club is now in the process of writing to those supporters to inform them of this decision and to confirm the control measures which are in place to allow the area to be reopened and operated safely by the club.

“We fully understand this has been a difficult period for those affected. However, the decision was taken amidst serious safety concerns.

“The club is continuing to investigate events from the matches against Hearts and Linfield and a number of fans within this area remain suspended.

“Celtic will continue to liaise with these supporters as well as the relevant stadium safety authorities.

“Our objective is to work towards re-opening the section in full, something which can only be achieved by ensuring a safe environment which meets the requirements of the Safety Advisory Group.  

“Celtic is responsible for the safety of every supporter entering Celtic Park. We can never and will never compromise on safety.”

The decision affected 900 season ticket holders in the safe-standing section of the stadium which houses the Green Brigade ultras group.

On July 20, Celtic were hit with UEFA disciplinary charges over an alleged “illicit banner” and “blocked stairways” during their Champions League victory over Linfield the previous night.

The club was then hit by a €23,000 (£20,616) fine by UEFA’s Disciplinary Committee last week.