A second inquest into the death of singer Amy Winehouse has confirmed she died from alcohol poisoning after a drinking binge.
The same verdict of misadventure was recorded at a re-hearing of the inquest – after the first was heard by a coroner without the correct qualifications.
Yesterday's hearing was told the Back To Black star was more than five times the legal drink-drive limit when she died, with 416mg of alcohol per decilitre of blood in her body – the legal driving limit is 80mg.
Loading article content
The inquest at St Pancras Coroner's Court in London heard the same evidence about the singer's death as was revealed at the first inquest in October 2011.
The move to hold another inquest came after an investigation found Suzanne Greenaway, who oversaw the first inquest, did not have the correct qualifications for the role.
The singer's parents, Mitch and Janis, were not present yesterday and a family spokesman said previously the Winehouses were "happy with the way the original inquest was conducted and did not request it to be reheard".
St Pancras Coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe said the star died from "alcohol toxicity".
She said Winehouse "voluntarily consumed alcohol" and said "two empty vodka bottles were on the floor" beside her bed when her body was found.
Winehouse, who won five Grammy awards in 2008, was described by Dr Radcliffe as an independent woman. "She clearly had a mind of her own," she said.
"But her alcohol ingestion became a significant health problem."
Winehouse's GP, Dr Christina Romete, saw her the night before she died.
Although the singer had been drinking, the GP said: "She specifically said she did not want to die."
A statement from the GP revealed Winehouse's struggle with an eating disorder.