A mother who was knocked unconscious when she slipped on water leaking from a faulty air conditioning unit while on holiday in Tenerife has been awarded £37,000 in compensation.
Sylvia McNicholl, 49, from Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, was on the first night of her two-week family holiday when she slid on a pool of water as she helped her three-year-old son to the toilet.
She fell backwards and hit her head on a cupboard door, leaving her unconscious and in need of stitches.
The water had come from an air conditioning unit, which was not properly maintained, at Fanabe Costa Sur hotel in Tenerife.
Mrs McNicholl, who was on the trip with her husband Patrick, said the accident in May 2008 has had a lasting effect as she suffered painful headaches and dizziness afterwards, and now has a limited sense of taste and smell.
Travel lawyers Irwin Mitchell helped her secure a £37,000 settlement from tour operator Thomas Cook for her pain and suffering, and the cost of the ruined holiday, as well as a contribution towards her loss of earnings and care needs.
Mrs McNicholl said: "One minute I'm getting up to help my son; the next I'm on the floor barely conscious with blood rushing from my head.
"It was a really nasty injury but it could have been so much worse, the holiday was ruined for me and it's had quite an impact on my life generally."
Irwin Mitchell said it obtained evidence from building experts that the hotel did not have proper records regarding the maintenance of the air conditioning system as required under Spanish law.
Laetitia Fouquet, who represented Mrs McNicholl, said: "Unfortunately the family's two-week holiday was ruined on the first day and Sylvia suffered head injuries which continue to affect her now.
"Thankfully we have now been able to secure the settlement which will help cover the costs of her ongoing care as well as contribute to her lost earnings as she has not yet been able to return to work as she planned."