A man has been jailed for a year for battering three male lovers in a campaign of abuse spanning more than a decade.

Kevin Conway, 30, attacked Paul Scrase, Mark MacDonald and Andrew Fleming while in a relationship with each of them.

During one rampage he hit Mr Scrase with a candlestick that left him needing stitches. In another incident he butted Mr MacDonald, breaking his nose, and while holding a knife he told him, "You'll not be here when I'm finished with you".

Loading article content

In other attacks he threatened to have someone rape Mr Fleming and spat in his face and repeatedly tried to strangle him, causing him to fear for his life.

His crimes only came to light when Mr Fleming reported the abuse he had suffered at the hands of Conway.

Bank manager Conway, of Holmlea Road, Cathcart, Glasgow, denied the charges and claimed the three men had concocted the stories to have him convicted and receive compensation. He branded them liars and claimed he was the victim of domestic abuse.

However, the sheriff rejected his version and believed the three victims who came to Glasgow Sheriff Court to give evidence at the trial and spoke about the abuse, which happened between May 2002 and October 2012.

Conway was convicted of 10 charges of assault, including one of assault to severe injury and permanent disfigurement by breaking Mr MacDonald's nose.

Passing sentence, sheriff Robert Fife told Conway: "The evidence I have accepted demonstrated a course of violent behaviour over many years."

He added: "It is unlikely these offences would have come to public attention had Andrew Fleming not reported an incident in October 2012."

Sheriff Fife also granted a non-harassment order for three years in respect of each victim.

Speaking after the sentencing, first victim Mr Scrase, 37, said: "Justice has been done - maybe he will learn his lesson.

"It's a great sense of relief, the sheriff has seen exactly who he is and what behaviours he had demonstrated."

Mr Scrase spoke about his ordeal after the verdict.

He said: "When the domestic abuse task force approached me I was shocked. They explained to me that there may have been things happening to other people and there may have been things that happened to me in the past that I have not reported.

"I feel relieved the police did contact me - I didn't even realise there was such a task force. "

He said he was too embarrassed in the past to tell anybody of the abuse he was suffering but wishes he had, although he did not realise he could still do something about it.

He said: "I didn't want anything happening to anyone else."

Mr Scrase said volatile Conway had no trigger and he spent his days "treading on egg shells" because he did not know when the attacks would happen.

However, Mr Scrase decided to speak to officers, despite being deeply embarrassed, because he was worried what might happen.

He added: "When would it stop, when someone was murdered?"

Mr Scrase said being in a same-sex relationship put him off reporting what happened to him.

He added: "But there is help out there for people in same sex relationships, nobody will be treated any differently."

Chief Superintendent John Thomson, of Police Scotland's Domestic Abuse Task Force, said: "The courage shown by Conway's partners in speaking out has been a significant factor in our investigation.

"Victims of domestic abuse know that when they contact police there are dedicated officers, specially trained to deal with the complexities surrounding domestic abuse investigations."