A MAN who murdered his wife after discovering she was having a lesbian affair has been jailed for life.

Marion Vita, 48, was stabbed to death by her husband Tony at their family home in Baillieston, Glasgow, last September.

Vita had flown into a rage having earlier discovered his wife of 19 years was in a sexual relationship with 34-year-old fraud analyst Elwira Rumniak.

Loading article content

The 47-year-old, who claimed the death was an "accident", yesterday returned to the High Court in Glasgow after being convicted of murder.

Judge Sean Murphy QC ordered Vita serve a minimum of 12 years before being eligible for parole, adding: "This is an incredibly sad case and has had tragic consequences for everyone who knew her, including you.

"You had lived an exemplary life, but all of that ended when you discovered she was having an affair with another woman."

Vita - who had often broke down during his trial in March - showed no emotion as he was led handcuffed to the cells.

A jury heard how Mrs Vita had started seeing Ms Rumniak in secret soon after they met in 2012. She eventually spent most of her time at Ms Rumniak's home in Edinburgh, where Mrs Vita worked as a manager at the Crown Office. The pair had discussed starting a family, and Mrs Vita had even proposed to her lover.

The affair came to light last September 19 - the night before the killing - when Vita found intimate messages between the women on his son's iPad.

Ms Rumniak told the trial: "Marion said, 'He knows about us.' I went up to her and held her really tightly. I said, 'We will be OK'."

Ms Rumniak recalled pensions worker Vita sending "horrendous" texts. She said: "He mentioned Auschwitz and how he wanted me to suffer more than what happened there."

Vita, meantime, put an entry in a calendar which read "Marion = cheating lesbian whore" and cut his wife out of family photographs.

The court heard Mrs Vita went to meet her husband the next night at home. It was there in a rage he stabbed her four times.

The couple's 11-year-old son later told how he discovered his mother unconscious on the couch.

In an interview with police, the schoolboy added: "Her lips were quite grey. She was not moving at all. She was lying on the sofa, sort of on her side."

He also recalled trying to open his mother's eyes and talking to her before making a 999 call.

In evidence, Vita said he did not realise his wife was injured that night and she had died due to a bizarre accident when she fell on the knife during a struggle. He also told how he had gone upstairs and stabbed himself twice in a failed suicide bid. In mitigation, Brian McConnachie QC, defending, said: "The circumstances disclosed at trial indicate this incident clearly happened at a time of unimaginable stress, so far as Mr Vita is concerned."

Judge Murphy also praised the Vitas's son, adding: "He will have to come to terms with the loss of his mother and the imprisonment of his father."