• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

400 Kenya tourists return home

AROUND 400 British tourists have returned to the UK from Kenya after 10 people were killed in two explosions in the capital Nairobi.

The holidaymakers were flown back from the east African country's other main town, Mombasa, by tour operators Thomson and First Choice.

The move came after the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) amended its Kenya travel advice, warning against all but essential travel to parts of Mombasa.

Thomson and First Choice said that the last flight carrying British tourists back to the UK arrived at Gatwick airport on Friday night at around 10.30pm.

Tourist Alex Dolphin, from Surrey, arrived back having spent three days at a resort at Diani Beach.

He said: "I didn't feel uneasy until we were in a convoy of three coaches parked on the roadside waiting to leave for the airport. I was keeping an eye open as we drove through Mombasa."

Other holidaymakers had mixed views on the way the situation was handled.

One man said it had been a shambles but other returning holidaymakers said tour companies were very professional.

In addition to those killed in the attacks, around 70 people were thought to have been injured. Both explosions were in the Gikombna Market area near Nairobi's Somali-populated Eastleigh district.

Contextual targeting label: 
Travel

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

234204