• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Coulthard's sister died of overdose

THE younger sister of former Formula One star David Coulthard died last year from an overdose of the widely used prescription drug Propranolol, it has been reported.

At the time of 35-year-old Lynsay Jackson's death last year it was thought she had died from a heart attack. However, following the outcome of toxicology tests her death certificate has been updated, showing that she died from a Propranolol overdose.

The drug, technically known as a beta-blocker, is prescribed for a variety of common health problems including high blood ­pressure, angina, irregular heartbeat, anxiety and thyroid problems.

It is also used as a treatment for other ailments including migraine headaches and glaucoma.

Mrs Jackson, whose baby daughter Emilie was just 10 months old at the time of her death, was thought to have suffered cardiac failure at her home in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, in the early hours of the morning after going to bed complaining of stomach pains.

Medical experts said Propranolol was usually a safe drug but that care should be taken to ensure the correct dose is taken. It is known to slow down the heart, which can result in the patient feeling weak.

Contextual targeting label: 
Transport Tragedy

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

208456