• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Hospital patients moved as fire crews tackle chemical spill

Some patients have had to move wards as firefighters deal with a chemical spill in a hospital.

No-one has been injured but two wards have been cleared as a precaution at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Sodium hypochlorite, a disinfectant, was spilled near the basement of the hospital, the fire service said.

The chemical can cause irritation if inhaled and burning if it comes into contact with skin. Exposure can also cause headaches and vomiting.

Firefighters wearing chemical suits have been at the scene since around 10.30am.

Hospital director Lyn McDonald said: "We were alerted this morning to a suspected chemical incident within a non-patient area of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.

"The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service are currently on-site.

"As a precautionary measure we have moved some patients from two wards which were near to the affected area."

Contextual targeting label: 
Health

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

201780