• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Search re-think on missing jet

THE search area for the missing Malaysian airliner in the southern Indian Ocean has been refined based on new analysis.

But the investigation into how Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 came to crash cannot proceed until the wreckage and black boxes are recovered, officials have said.

Australia's deputy prime Minister Warren Truss said analysis of a failed attempted satellite phone call from Malaysia Airlines to Flight 370, which disappeared on March 8, "suggests to us that the aircraft might have turned south a little earlier than we had previously expected".

The overall search area still remained unchanged, he said. He did not elaborate on how that analysis was achieved.

Mr Truss and Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai have signed a memorandum of understanding on co-operation in the search for the missing Boeing 777.

Contextual targeting label: 
Local government

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

257753