A further 20 workers at the Commonwealth Games athletes' village have been struck down with norovirus, taking the total number of reported cases to 32.

Their symptoms are described as "mild" but they have been sent home until they have recovered, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said.

No athletes or team officials staying on the site in the east end of Glasgow have been affected, the health board added.

Loading article content

The first cases of the sickness and diarrhoea bug emerged on Tuesday.

Twelve members of staff were sent home from the Dalmarnock village until they have been clear of symptoms for 48 hours.

Norovirus is the most common stomach bug in the UK, affecting between 600,000 and one million people of all ages every year.

The village is said to be "operating as normal" but infection control measures have been put in place and Health Protection Scotland is working with the health board and Games organisers to minimise risk.

Dr Catriona Milosevic, consultant in public health medicine for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGCC), said: "Norovirus is the most common stomach bug in the UK and it is common to see the virus in the community. It's usually mild and generally lasts for 24 hours.

"The symptoms being experienced by these individuals are mild and none are giving any cause for concern as a result of the virus.

"Village residents and workforce have been informed and issued with health information. There have been no reports from athletes or team officials and the village is open and operating as normal.

"We are continuing to monitor the situation closely."

The 700-house Dalmarnock village was officially opened last Sunday and will host 4,500 competitors and another 2,300 support staff during the Games.

Some officials have already moved on to the site, with Team Scotland the first to take up residence yesterday.

The village has its own pub, post office, beauty salon, mini-hospital and shops. The dining hall has a menu offering 2,000 different items and will serve an expected 390,000 meals during the competition.

An advisory has been sent to residents asking them to remain in their rooms if they develop symptoms of the bug.