BARRY Ferguson's reign as Clyde manager got off to the perfect start as his League Two side shocked Ayr United at Broadwood yesterday.

A goal from Scott McManus and John Sweeney's penalty were sufficient to see off the League One side.

Ferguson said: "It was a good start for us, but we were very poor in the second half and the players have had a rollicking for that. We are really still only midway through our pre-season so there is still room for improvement."

Loading article content

Brora Rangers produced the shock of the round by knocking out Stenhousemuir.The Highland League champions led through Zander Sutherland's first-half opener, but Martin Grehan's equaliser took the tie into extra-time.

However, Brora dominated the overtime during which Sutherland completed a memorable hat-trick.

Another shock came at Central Park where Championship side Cowdenbeath fell to League One Brechin City 3-1 after extra-time.

Dumbarton surrendered a two-goal cushion at Stair Park before Sean Winter's injury-time winner for League One Stranraer.

Similarly, it was the side from a lower division who came out on top in the Lanarkshire derby, Albion Rovers securing a 4-2 penalty shootout win at Airdrie following a 2-2 draw after extra-time.

Lowland League champions Spartans gave Morton a run for their money before going down to Cameron O'Neil's winner at Cappielow.

East Stirling restricted derby rivals Falkirk to a one-goal lead at the break before Rory Loy and Blair Alston both grabbed doubles as the Bairns turned on the style to win 7-1 at Ochilview.

Championship class also told for Alloa Athletic who had a comfortable 4-1 win at Arbroath while East Fife (2-1 v Forfar), Stirling Albion (3-0 at Elgin) and Peterhead (3-0 at Montrose) also made it through.

The only all-Championship tie produced real fireworks as Queen of the South and Livingston traded goals liberally in a thriller at Palmerston Park. Lions substitute David Robertson eventually got the decisive seventh goal five minutes from the end of extra-time.