• Text size      
  • Send this article to a friend
  • Print this article

Visitors in the driving seat as Stewart scores brace



A DOUBLE from Greg Stewart kept Cowdenbeath's survival hopes alive and left Ayr United with a battle to reach the play-off final.

The visitors dominated the opening exchanges of this match and deservedly opened up a two-goal advantage. Gordon Pope's late strike, though, has at least given Ayr some hope going into the return leg at Central Park on Saturday.

The visitors dominated possession early on without creating many chances while the home side carved out a number of good opportunities which they were not able to take.

Then, some good play from Cowdenbeath ended with Lewis Milne playing the ball across the face goal for Greg Stewart to fire into the back of the net.

Alan Lithgow then failed to control a long ball which allowed Kane Hemmings a shot on goal but he hit it straight at the keeper.

Cowdenbeath continued to pressure Ayr and before the break Stewart doubled his side's lead when he received the ball outside the box and curled a fantastic effort into the top corner.

Pope had the home fans out their seats with a 30-yard drive but it flew just wide of the top corner.

The home side pulled a goal back 10 minutes from full-time when a corner fell to Pope who took a touch before stroking the ball into the far corner. They came close to drawing level, but an equaliser evaded them.

Contextual targeting label: 

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.
If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.