A historic country house in Argyll has just changed hands. Marketed by agents Christie & Co as having potential either as a large private home, or as a country hotel, Dunans House is located between Strachur and Colintraive on the Cowal peninsula.
Loading article content
Built on a grand scale, the house has five reception rooms, nine bedrooms, a chapel, two dressing rooms, three bathrooms and attic rooms. The new owners will also find an unused wing with a further 11 rooms.
Originally offered at #375,000, the accessibility of Dunans House in Glendaruel and the availability of 40% grants for development, made it a good commercial proposition.
Originally a fortified house dating back to the 1500s, it was bought in 1746 with the Dunans estate by Andrew Fletcher, head of the Fletcher clan. The clan then moved to Glendaruel. A carved stone panel in the house records the event. Original access to the house was via a single span bridge over the Ruel, but that was replaced in 1815 by the three-arched bridge which now spans the gorge.
The main house was re-built in the Scottish baronial style in 1830. It is clear from the quality of the stone carvings that only the best of stone masons were employed.
The reconstruction saw the creation of the main tower and the height of the building was increased. A family chapel was added at the top of the house. Every window in the house has views of the surrounding hills.
The B-listed building is positioned close to Loch Fyne, in an area popular with tourists. It has good road links with the A815, A82, A83 and the A85 providing good access to the towns of Dunoon, Lochgilphead and Oban. Glasgow is about 50 miles away.