Recording of 999 call following the discovery of Eleni Pachou's body Click play to listen

A man has been found guilty of the "brutal and savage" murder of trainee pizzeria manager Eleni Pachou.

A jury convicted Juan Carlos Suarez Crispin of stabbing Ms Pachou to death in Di Maggio's restaurant in Glasgow in May 2008.

Crispin, 37, was accused of stabbing 25-year-old Eleni Pachou to death in Di Maggio's restaurant in the city's west end.

The body of the Greek national was found in the pizza parlour on May 30 last year and the restaurant safe had been robbed of £1,320.

Crispin, a former employee at the restaurant, assaulted, robbed and murdered Ms Pachou, who he described in evidence as "a good friend".

He had claimed the crime was committed by former lover Marion Hinshelwood, 44, who said she bought a knife for Crispin and has admitted the culpable homicide of Ms Pachou.

Directing the jury, Judge Lord Turnbull said Di Maggio's cleaner Ms Hinshelwood had lied while giving evidence in the trial.

The judge also said that, in some circumstances, the supplier of a weapon which is used to kill someone could also be convicted of murder.

But he said it was not up to the jury to rule whether the Crown had made the right decision to accept her guilty plea to the lesser charge of culpable homicide but "whether the crime has proved its case against Mr Crispin".

Lord Turnbull said: "The crime we are dealing with in this case is murder."

After the verdict Detective Superintendent Bob Law, the officer in charge of the investigation, said: "Eleni was a vibrant young woman who had everything to live for.

"I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathy to her father and brothers who have lost a daughter and sister in such horrific circumstances.

"I commend the dignity they displayed when faced with such an ordeal.

"Members of the public, in particular, the local community were naturally sickened by the level of violence shown by Eleni's killers.

"It is satisfying to know that those involved have now been brought to justice.

"I would like to thank everyone who supported the police during this investigation. Throughout the nine days, many people came forward and provided information."

"I would particularly like to thank the owners and management of establishments in Ruthven Lane. In the first couple of days of this enquiry, their premises had to remain closed which no doubt caused a great deal of inconvenience. However, they were all very understanding and co-operated fully.

"I sincerely hope that the verdict announced today, will go some way in helping Eleni's family move on with their lives."