Larchgrove The latest children's unit to become the centre of abuse allegations is Larchgrove Remand Home in the east end of Glasgow, although allegations have been made there in the past. Former residents have alleged sexual and physical abuse in the 1970s by some staff, and claimed they were kept hungry or fed pet food.

Quarriers Homes, Bridge Of Weir Once cherished by the public and supported by the great and good as a haven for neglected or orphaned children, Quarriers has faced accusations of sexual and physical abuse since the 1930s. The most prominent, from the 1960s, emerged in a series of trials of house fathers, including Samuel McBrearty and John Porteous - nicknamed the "Beast of the Belltower".

Kerelaw A three-year investigation into the Kerelaw residential unit in Ayrshire claimed to have uncovered around 40 alleged abusers among its staff. Investigators also warned more workers knew of the abuse but did nothing about it. Their findings prompted concern in the Scottish Parliament where politicians demanded the abuse should never be repeated. The unit has been demolished.

St Ninian's List D School, Stirlingshire In 2003 Michael Murphy, 69, formerly known as Brother Benedict, a monk with the de la Salle order, was jailed for two years on ten charges of physical abuse during the 1960s, including torturing pupils with an electric shock device, force-feeding them vomit and whipping them with knotted boot laces. James McKinstrey, 70, the night watchman, and Charles McKenna, 83, a former teacher, each got two years for sexual offences.

Nazareth House Allegations of abuse at the homes run by the Congregation of the Poor Sisters of Nazareth began to emerge in 1997. Hundreds of former residents have since claimed they were abused, or humiliated as children. Most are now in their 40s, 50s and 60s, and criminal injuries compensation payments have been awarded. One nun, Sister Alphonso, 58, was admonished for abusing four children in her care.

Blairs College, Aberdeen In 1994, the Roman Catholic Church paid £42,000 compensation to a man who was sexually abused by two priests while at the seminary. The abuse began when the man was a 14-year-old trainee priest, in the mid-1970s. Another case involved Father Desmond Lynagh, who abused young trainee priests. He was given therapy and continued as a priest. The college closed in 1986.