Former Scotland rugby player Norrie Rowan threatened to kill a lawyer during a row at his solicitors' offices.

Yesterday at Edinburgh Sheriff Court, Rowan, 44, was fined #250 after admitting a breach of the peace last August 21 by shouting, swearing, pushing Mr Murdo Fraser and uttering violent threats.

The court heard that the incident came about after a business deal involving Rowan and another man, Mr Rab Thallon, went sour.

Depute-fiscal Alison Grant said that Rowan, of Lanark Road, Edinburgh, went into the offices of Ketchen and Stevens in Queens Street, Edinburgh, at 3.15pm on a Monday afternoon.

He asked to see one of the partners, Mr Boyd, but he asked Mr Fraser to see Rowan instead.

Mr Fraser and Rowan went into an interview room and Mr Fraser realised that Rowan was quite agitated.

``Rowan apparently said he wanted to kill Mr Boyd,'' said Mrs Grant.

He was asked to leave and pushed Mr Fraser, causing him to hit furniture and land on the floor.

As he left, Rowan leaned over Mr Fraser and said something along the lines of: ``I'll kill the lot of you.''

He later told police: ``Mr Fraser and Mr Boyd had been conspiring, along with Rab Thallon, to defraud me of a shareholding.''

Defence solicitor Ray Megson said Mr Boyd had worked for both Mr Thallon and Rowan when they were in business together.

Rowan had been sequestrated but when his bankruptcy was over Mr Thallon welched on an agreement over a property deal involving The Vaults in Niddrie Street, Edinburgh.

Mr Rowan tried to contact Mr Boyd but he refused to see him or reply to his letters and calls.

Mr Rowan wanted the lease for The Vaults assigned to him but Mr Thallon, through Mr Boyd, was trying to block that on the ground that Mr Rowan was not a fit and proper person to have the lease.

``It was under these circumstances that Mr Rowan appeared at the offices of Ketchen and Stevens that day,'' said Mr Megson.

``Mr Boyd didn't have anyone with him, he may have been busy but he could certainly have seen Mr Rowan, for his own reasons he sent Mr Fraser down.''

Mr Rowan was agitated and became increasingly angry as it became clear he wasn't going to get any help from Mr Fraser.

He made a remark about Mr Boyd being busy and a heated argument broke out, said Mr Megson.

Mr Fraser told Rowan to leave and he pushed him out of the way as he went.

Mr Megson said that Rowan was married with three children and was involved with a property firm.

It was, however, ``just ticking by'' as he has a number of civil actions under way involving a great deal of money he claims is owed to him.

Sheriff Anne Smith QC said the solicitors were entitled to peace and quiet to go about their work and to expect people to behave themselves at their offices.

``It won't do, however angry you were about your own personal affairs . . . this behaviour will not be tolerated,'' she told Rowan.