THE campaign of terror by Basque separatists continued against holidaymakers yesterday.

A fourth bomb was found in a hotel in the Spanish resort of Salou, and there was an attack on barracks.

Seven British tourists were still being treated in hospital last night after an explosion at Reus airport, 50 miles south of Barcelona.

Around 33 people, including 24 Britons, were taken to two hospitals after the blast on Saturday. One Scot, Mrs Denise Rostron, 43, from Aberdeen, suffered concussion.

The attack, claimed by ETA (Basque Homeland and Freedom), was the first in a series of violent incidents at the weekend in its campaign aimed at Spain's tourist industry.

There were two more explosions at beach hotels in Cambrils and Salou on Saturday.

The fourth bomb was disarmed. Around 500 tourists, believed to be mainly British and Dutch, evacuated the Delfin Park Hotel, Salou after an employee found the device in a washroom. No-one was injured.

In another incident yesterday, eight grenades exploded near a barracks of the paramilitary Civil Guard in the Basque town of Ordizia.

However, Scots flying to the area yesterday appeared unaffected by the terror campaign.

The Reus bomb was planted in a rubbish bin outside a restaurant in the airport passenger lounge, and many of the injured were caught in a hail of flying glass and debris.

A Spanish cleaner, Isabel Montiel Lorenzo, 46, was nearest to the bin and was the most seriously injured. Surgeons were able to save her injured leg.

The British travellers were among about 1000 people at the airport and were due to board flights to Manchester, Birmingham, and Gatwick after holidays on the Costa Dorada. Spanish police said ETA issued a warning only five minutes before the explosion which came as they had just started to evacuate the building.

From her hospital bed in the city of Tarragona, Mrs Rostron said last night: ``I was very near the bomb when it went off. I heard it and felt myself being knocked over by the blast. But I lost consciousness and don't remember anything more until I came round out on the airport tarmac where they had taken me.''

Her daughters Megan, 11, and Kira, eight, were with their mother. Mrs Rostron added: ``They are very traumatised, but they weren't hurt, thank God. They are all right.''

Mrs Rostron, her husband Nick, and the girls, were waiting to catch a flight to Birmingham.

Hospital staff praised the bravery of 10-year-old Thomas O'Mahony, from Dublin, who badly injured his leg.

The youngster became separated from his mother, Winifred, who also suffered leg injuries, during the rescue operation when they were sent to different hospitals. But Mrs O'Mahony moved hospital to be with her son, who was in intensive care.

A hospital spokesman said: ``We all admired the courage of this little boy when he was brought in. His left leg was completely smashed by a large piece of metal which had embedded itself behind his knee, which is also very badly damaged.

``But this little boy never cried at all, he put on a very brave face.''

Mr Adrian Yeoman, 37, a physiotherapist from Southsea, Hampshire, told how he first thought his injured girlfriend, Ms Karen Kelly, 29, had died in the blast.

Mr Yeoman said: ``I was at the bar getting some drinks when the blast went off. There was a huge bang, I looked over and could only see a cloud of smoke where Karen had been standing. I thought the worst, I thought she had been killed.

``There was loads of blood and people running to get out but all I was worried about was Karen. Then I found her in the bar area being helped into a chair by a man. She was covered in blood and very shocked.''

Ms Kelly had shrapnel removed from her thigh in hospital.

Shocked passengers, after their return to the UK, told of their terror when the bomb went off.

Engineer Alan Conway, 39, from Wigan, said he and his family had just gone through passport control when there was a shattering bang.

He said: ``There was smoke everywhere and glass flying and all around there were kids screaming. Everybody was just told to dive to the floor. They shouted `everybody down'.

``Then everybody just ran to get out of the building. There were children getting lost and separated from their parents.''

Most passengers in the departure lounge were Thomson Holidays' customers waiting for three Britannia charter jets.

Spain's Interior Minister, Mr Jaime Mayor Oreja, visited the injured and told a news conference that the security forces were doing everything possible to prevent further attacks, but they would not be using ``spectacular measures''.

He said: ``Miracles are not possible in the battle against terrorism where one needs to be tenacious.''

Spain has remained the most popular package holiday destination for UK visitors for more than 20 years, and Mr Keith Betton, head of corporate affairs at the Association of British Travel Agents, said: ``This latest incident won't put people off.''