A CAMERA crew which has breached guidelines to protect Prince William's privacy by trying to film him at St Andrews University was working for his uncle, Prince Edward.

Royal family officials said last night the intrusion, just two days after the 19-year-old arrived at the university, was ''disappointing''.

St Andrews University said the crew was asked, along with other members of the media, to stop filming on Sunday night, but returned on Monday to film the prince as he returned from his first lecture.

Crew members were ap-proached by a university official and initially told him they were an American company filming general shots relating to tourism and golf, but later admitted they were from Ardent Productions, a company owned by the Earl of Wessex.

Prince William is believed to have contacted the Palace after he noticed them and was reported to have telephoned his father about the incident.

A spokeswoman for St James's Palace said: ''There was a crew who have admitted to working for Ardent. They did try to film William and were noticed by him.

''It is quite disappointing as every other media organisation has left St Andrews to leave William the opportunity to start university in relative peace.''

It is understood that the crew also attempted to capture some footage of the university on Monday, including a chapel near to the hall of residence where William, who is starting a four-year history of art course, is staying.

A St James's Palace aide was reported to have said that if the crew successfully filmed the prince the footage should be handed over.

Mr Niall Scott, director of St Andrews University's press office, said that the film crew was the only media organisation to remain in St Andrews after the official photocall to herald William's arrival at the university on Sunday.

He said: ''We had hundreds of media in St Andrews and 99.9% of them agreed to leave on Sunday in response to requests to allow the university and its 6000 students to get on with life outwith the eyes of the press.

''We are surprised by the fact that one crew has, by their actions, broken what was a very effective peace. They were within their rights to film as they were in a public place, but it is very disappointing.''