League Trophy: C and D

IT was the sort of performance Glasgow Southern had been looking for, although the half-time scoreline against Selkirk of 17-6 suggested that the outcome could be close.

Jason Gallacher had landed two penalties for the visitors, but Southern had the better of the half with tries from Scott Gerry and David Murray, both converted by Erin Cossey.

Andy Kerr's try and Cossey's conversion were countered by Mike Jaffray's try and Gallacher's conversion and three penalties, so at 24-22 the game was finely poised.

Then came the final 10 minutes and the three tries that earned Southern the match points and the bonus with Cossey, Mike Lokman, and Richie Nolan all touching down. With Cossey maintaining a 100% conversion rate, the final 45-22 scoreline looked impressive.

The top-of-the-table clash between Grangemouth and Gordonians was always going to be close, but in the end the Aberdeen side's ability to breach the opposition defence was the clinching factor.

Kenny Halliday landed four penalties for Grangemouth, but more enterprising play from Gordonians, who held the edge in most areas throughout the match, saw tries fall to Jason Watt and Gordon Gibb with Kiwi Tony Marks adding two conversions for a 17-12 scoreline.

Aberdeen GSFP had a more convincing win, t 31-6 at Carlton Park against a lacklustre Glenrothes team who always played second fiddle and were fortunate the score was not greater.

q Michael Lynagh, top scorer in Test history, landed three nonchalant penalties in the final quarter as Saracens produced an upset by beating champions Wasps in the English Premiership at Loftus Road yesterday.

Gareth Rees had given Wasps a narrow advantage at 15-10 with five penalties by the 57th minute.

But Wasps' scoring dried up and Saracens claimed victory to match Newcastle's three wins in three and go level at the top.

After the two kickers had made it a routine 3-3, Saracens were on course for a try when wing Brendan Daniel ran 100 yards down the touchline unmolested before deciding to dive too early in triumph.

The ball was knocked out of his hand by the firm pitch and the opening try came belatedly from Saracens' other wing, Australian Ryan Constable finishing off a move after 22 minutes that Daniel had entered three times as if to atone for his earlier blunder. That was the only try, inevitably converted by Lynagh.

But Saracens gave Rees four more kicks at goal between the twenty-eighth and fifty-seventh minutes and the Canadian collected all his chances, giving Wasps a platform to strike for victory.

However, they were ambushed by their own indiscipline and Lynagh's predictable accuracy.