At last a win for a Scottish side against southern hemisphere opposition, and if Glasgow Caledonians enjoyed some good fortune at Firhill last night, it was no more than they deserved.

While Scotland's super teams had been over-run by both the Springboks and the Maoris over the previous fortnight, Fiji had been rampaging around England, but their unbeaten run was brought to a shuddering halt by a home side whose performance should have done much to help lift the gloom surrounding the Scottish game.

Sadly, too few people, less than 1000, were there to see the way the form guide was ignored, Fiji having averaged moire than 50 points per game in their wins over Penzance & Newlyn, Oxford University, Cambridge University and a Bristol Select.

Helped in their first task of subduing their visitors by French referee Gerard Borreani, who was very severe on both the high tackling, which is the trademark of South Seas play, and their boisterously ill-disciplined play around the fringes, their confidence flooded back as the points piled up.

Never, then, was the wisdom of recruiting goal-kicking specialist Luke Smith more clearly illustrated as he put over eight kicks, scoring 21 points in total, to provide the platform .

Fiji had scored the first try, capitalising on what was, on the night, a rare instance of defensive frailty, although Gavin Scott had put in a superb tackle on Fero Lasagivibau, one of the men who had terrorised Scotland in Suva back in May, before Koli Sewabu stepped rather too easily inside Shaun Longstaff's attempted tackle.

The response was impressive. Smith having kept his side in range, Glenn Metcalfe - who was to win the Tennent's Velvet man of the match award for a fine all-round performance - took a quick tap penalty deep in the Fiji 22.

It might have looked rash, given that an easy three points were on offer, but after breenges by Shaun Longstaff, Smith and Rob Wainwright, Alan Kittle drove over for a hard-earned try.

Early in the second half the captain scored the try which ensured that his side had the belief to go on and win the match.

Gordon McIlwham, having appeared in the line wide on the right, showing good pace and skills in working with Long-staff, the ball was quickly reclaimed following the lineout and put down the line.

Derek Stark cut in from his wing and Metcalfe supported him, Gordon Mackay then making ground towards the corner, before firing a pass at Wainwright, which the flanker did well to hold and cross the line.

That it was, at last, Glasgow Caledonians night, was summed up by their last two tries.

First, Metcalfe had blundered with a weak kick from which the Fijians looked set to counter, full-back Waisake Tuisese having four men outside him.

However, Stark reacted first as his wild pass went to ground, pouncing on the loose ball and breaking a tackle to go in between the posts.

If that was fortunate, then his score which clinched the win bordered on ridiculous.

Tries by Aminiasi Naituyaga and Lasagavibau had brought Fiji back within range when Ian Jardine showed enormous bravery to fall on the ball inside his own 22. He regained his feet and fed Stark, whose weak attempted chip was charged down, but bounced straight back into his hands, and he sprinted some 70 metres downfield to score.

Though they had the benefit of having four members of Scotland's international squad returning to their ranks, only two of them, Wainwright and Longstaff, had significant roles to play, Rowen Shepherd and Willie Anderson only entering the fray as late replacements.

Wainwright and Longstaff were among those, along with McIlwham, Jardine and Stewart Campbell, for whom the win was particularly satisfying, though, having taken part in that traumatic 51-26 defeat for Scotland in Fiji.

This time, though the visitors couldn't complain about the trip to the ground, since their hotel was nearby in Glasgow's West End, the conditions, since it was a relatively mild night, or the contribution of the crowd, since there hardly was one.

This was all Glasgow Caledonians own work, with no outside help as, for the first time this season, they put in what truly looked like a team effort, rather than a group of talented individuals wearing the same colours.

Glasgow Caledonians: G Metcalfe; D Stark, A Collins, I Jardine, S Longstaff; L Smith (R Shepherd 69 mins), C Little; G McIlwham (J Manson 79 mins), G Scott, A Kittle (W Anderson 64 mins), S Campbell, G Perrett, R Wainwright, G Flockhart (M Waite 60 mins), G Mackay.

Fiji: W Tuisese; I Tikomaimakogai, V Satala, L Koroi (L Little 55 mins), F Lasagavibau; N Little, J Raulini (S Rabaka 59 mins); D Rouse, G Smith, M Taga (N Qoro 66 mins), I Tawake, S Raiwalui, A Naevo, K Sewabu, A Naituyaga.

Referee: G Borreani (France).

Scoring sequence (Glasgow Caledonians first): 0-3, 3-3, 6-3, 6-10, 9-10, 16-10, 19-10 (half-time); 22-10, 29-10, 36-10, 36-15, 36-22, 41-22.

Scorers: Glasgow Caledonians: tries - Kittle (31 mins), Wainwright (45 mins), Stark (51, 71 mins); cons - Smith (31, 45, 51 mins); pens - Smith (5, 10, 25, 40, 41 mins). Fiji: tries - Sewabu (15 mins), A Naituyaga (56 mins), F Lasagavibau (68 mins); cons - N Little (15, 68 mins); pens - Little (3 mins).

q Herald experts tell

the SRU: Change now

or pay later. - Page 30