after extra time Scorers: Celtic - Sheridan (61); Rangers - Fleck (90, 120), Little (96) John Fleck's burgeoning reputation was boosted yet further last night as a stunning double from the 16-year-old inspired Rangers to snatch the SFA Youth Cup from under the noses of their Old Firm rivals.

Celtic were leading 1-0 in the last minute, but Fleck's first moment of magic sent the game into extra time and Billy Kirkwood's side sealed victory and a second successive league and cup double.

An opportunistic Andrew Little goal was sandwiched in between Fleck's brilliant brace, with the only disappointment that such drama was served up to a disappointing crowd of 6045, not even half the number that had watched another Fleck-inspired Rangers side triumph 5-0 in last year's under-19 showpiece.

After the match, Kirkwood backed Fleck to make the senior team before the end of the season to help them in their gruelling quadruple attempt.

"I would never advise Walter Smith," he said, "but I would have no fear about John being used before the end of the season. It might be as a substitute or whatever, but he has that special talent.

"We want to put the players under the nose of the management as much as we possibly can. It could be a defender, a midfielder or a forward. And with the injuries and suspensions the first team have, Walter might have to call on one or two of them.

"I would have no fear of John going with the first team. He is a young lad but he has got the talent, but it is entirely upon to Walter."

Fleck said: "I am hoping to play a part before the end of the season. I'm not too sure what will happen but I might get a chance to be on the bench. I'm still only 16 and would be very nervous. The manager has not spoken to me about that yet, but it is something I am targeting."

John McLaughlin's Celtic players had spoken in the build-up of their desire to avenge last year's humbling defeat, but began tentatively.

Kirkwood's side, however, made precious little of the early territorial advantage afforded them, and despite some promising initial flashes from Fleck, soon found themselves on the back foot.

These sides had shared six goals in their only previous meeting this season, and the first sign of the champions' defensive fragility came after just 10 minutes, when Paul Cahillane came within a whisker of converting Sheridan's inviting low cross.

"Any win will do" had been Kirkwood's message in the build-up to this match but the Rangers coach's touchline manner betrayed his growing concern at the stranglehold that Celtic were establishing.

Daniel Lafferty missed a difficult chance from close range before Paul Cahillane wasted a much easier opportunity 10 minutes from half-time.

Left-back Carlo Monti had carved through the Rangers defence to deliver a cross perfectly judged for Cahillane to cushion in his midriff and bear down on Scott Gallacher.

Ball hitting net looked to be a mere formality but Cahillane, seemingly with too much time in which make up his mind, botched his attempt to lift the ball over Gallacher, leaning back so far that he only succeeded in scooping over.

Rangers' Cypriot winger Georgios Efrem raised some heckles when he was justly yellow-carded for blatantly diving in search of a penalty just short of the hour mark, and within a couple of minutes Celtic fans were on their feet again to hail the breakthrough.

Rangers failed to clear their lines and gave former Inter Milan winger Luca Santonocito time and space to tee up Cillian Sheridan to score at the second attempt.

For a time, it appeared that Rangers were accepting their fate in uncharacteristically meek fashion, but that was until Fleck turned the game in their favour with an equaliser of genuine brilliance.

With the final seconds of the game ticking away, he charged through Celtic's defence in a devastating display of pace and power before lashing a left-foot drive into the top right-hand corner.

The initiative was now with Rangers and when Paul Skinner spilled a speculative long-range shot from William McLachlan five minutes into extra time, Little back-heeled home.

Fleck confirmed the victory in the last minute of extra time: Skinner had raced forward for a corner and when the ball broke to Fleck he burst past the solitary covering Celtic player to slot home into the unguarded net.

Celtic coach McLaughlin could not hide his disappointment afterwards. He said: "I was devastated for the players. They put in a great effort and did everything right but we could not see it out.

"The gameplan was perfect but we lost a terrible goal, although after that setback we responded in the right way."