Jason Campbell, who slashed the throat of 16-year-old Mark Scott in an unprovoked attack in Glasgow in 1995 simply because he supported Celtic, spent several days over the Christmas period at his family home in the Bridgeton area of the city.

Campbell, whose father and uncle were notorious Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) terror chiefs in Glasgow, will receive more home leave in the coming months and is expected to be released later this year.

Residents who spoke with the 37-year-old during his leave said he had told them he had deserved his time in prison and had confronted his crime.

It was reported last year that Campbell had never shown remorse for Mark’s killing.

Although the families of victims can now be informed when perpetrators are on weekend leave, it is unclear if Mark Scott’s relatives were aware that Campbell was walking the streets over the festive period.

Last night, when contacted by The Herald via the Mark Scott Foundation, a charity set up in memory of the young man, his family declined to comment.

In recent months Campbell has served food to children at a charity project as he prepares

for leave and his eventual release.

He is now in an open prison. While at Shotts jail last year he was let out three times a week to work in a community centre in an Edinburgh housing scheme, where he would be dropped off and collected by prison staff.

One resident from Bridgeton yesterday said: “People who met Campbell over Christmas have given the impression of a repentant individual who has said he has deserved every day he’s served in prison.

“The 14 years he’s spent inside has made him confront his crime and if he had the chance to say sorry I’m sure he would.

“What he’s done will be around him forever. It was one of the most notorious killings in Scotland in the past 25 years so where does Campbell go from here?

“The best bet may be to get out of Glasgow altogether and try and start up elsewhere.”

In the minutes before he died, Mark, a Glasgow Academy pupil and the son of a leading corporate lawyer, had been watching Celtic’s 2-1 win over Partick Thistle with two friends at nearby Celtic Park.

As the three youngsters, one the son of James Friel, the then procurator-fiscal at Paisley, walked along London Road towards Bridgeton Cross they were subjected to abuse from Rangers fans outside a pub.

Campbell ran up behind Mark, who was wearing a Celtic top, and screamed “Ya Fenian b******” before slashing his throat.

The attack, in broad daylight, was witnessed by other fans, women out shopping with their children and people in cars and buses.

After the killing, Campbell sprinted to his home just a few hundred yards away, where the family was having a party for his nephew’s 12th birthday.

He quickly showered and changed, then left, travelling later that night to stay with friends in Greenock.

During the first hours after the incident police received at least 50 telephone calls naming Campbell as the killer.

It was revealed during his trial that Campbell had a previous conviction for carrying a knife. His defence QC, Donald Findlay, suggested that Campbell had originally intended just to slash his victim.

A row erupted in 1997 when

it emerged that Campbell requested to be transferred to Belfast’s Maze jail as a “political prisoner” because of his UVF connections.

In June 1979, his father Colin Campbell and his uncle William “Big Bill” Campbell and another seven UVF terrorists had been sentenced to a total of 519 years, with charges ranging from the bombing of two Catholic pubs in Glasgow and a criminal conspiracy to further the cause of the UVF by gathering arms and explosives.

The transfer was vetoed by then First Minister Donald Dewar.

In the aftermath of the murder, Mark’s girlfriend, Cara Henderson, set up Nil By Mouth, Scotland’s first organised anti-sectarian campaign group, which continues today.

A Scottish Prison Service spokeswoman said the agency would not comment on individual cases and added that release dates were set by the Parole Board.

Jason Campbell slashed the throat of 16-year-old Mark Scott, pictured