THE man responsible for a sectarian murder that shocked Scotland has apologised to his victim's family almost two decades after the fatal attack.

Jason Campbell spent 15 years in prison for murdering teenage Celtic fan Mark Scott as he walked past a Loyalist pub in Glasgow.

The 16-year-old was targeted for wearing a Celtic scarf as he made his way through Bridgeton after watching his team play at Parkhead in October 1995.

He was walking on London Road with friends when Rangers fans outside the Windsor Bar shouted abuse at them. Campbell, who was 21 at the time, then ran up behind Mark and slashed his throat in front of stunned passers-by.

After fleeing and trying to hide out in Greenock, Campbell turned himself in. He was later found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Human rights legislation later compelled the courts to fix a time period to his sentence, with a minimum tariff of 15 years set.

In May 2011, Campbell was freed and returned to Bridgeton where he has since become a father.

Speaking to a Sunday ­newspaper, he said he wanted to move on with his life as he offered a belated apology to Mark's family.

He said: "It will be 20 years since it happened next year.

"I'm a dad now. I just want to move on with my life and I'm sure his family do too.

"There's nothing I can say that will change things; there's nothing I can say that can say enough sorrys to that family

"The last thing they want to hear is me say sorry."

The shock of Mark's murder brought new a focus on the issue of sectarian violence in Scotland.

Cara Henderson, a teenage friend of Mark, later set up the country's first anti-bigotry charity Nil By Mouth which has since campaigned to challenge intolerance and prejudice.

The case also sparked a massive public row as Campbell launched a failed attempt for a transfer to Belfast's Maze Prison under the pretence of being a political prisoner. However, the transfer was denied by then First Minister Donald Dewar.

Campbell's links with Loyalist groups was already well known as it was revealed his father Colin and uncle William were convicted terrorists.

The two were part of the 1979 bombing by the Ulster Volunteer Force of two Catholic pubs in Glasgow.

In June that year, nine members of the Ulster Volunteer Force were sentenced to a combined total of 519 years for the bombing.

After his 2011 release from prison, Campbell returned to his former haunts and has been spotted walking near to the spot where he killed Mark.

The Scottish Government said Campbell would be monitored closely upon his release.

MSP Graeme Pearson, justice spokesman for Scottish Labour, said: "It's a good sign that at last this man has acknowledged his responsibility for the death of a fine young man who had a great future ahead of him.

"I hope Mark's family take a degree of solace from that."

One of Mark Scott's sisters, Antonia, was quoted as saying that the family would not wish to comment.