The owner of a pub where a helicopter crashed, claiming 10 lives, hopes to reopen it by May.

The Clutha in Glasgow has been shut since a police helicopter crashed through its roof on November 29 2013.

Building work is now under way at the pub, which has been left largely untouched since the night of the disaster.

The adjoining Victoria Bar is to be refurbished, while the beer garden at the back of the Clutha will be covered over.

Owner Alan Crossan has not yet decided what to do with the area of the building where the helicopter crashed.

He said: "It's difficult, it's taken me a year and a bit to even get to this stage. Maybe in six months, maybe in a year, I'll know better what to do with this. Obviously, when we get people back in and the music starts again, we'll get a better idea of what we can do.

"The name will stay. The Clutha, before the accident, was pretty famous anyway, so the name will always stay. The Clutha means the Clyde and we're right next door to the Clyde, so we'll retain that."

He added: "Obviously in its day it was a pub that was really happy and it was always a good pub, there were never any issues in it, so it's got a feeling now where it's strange, I could take a long, long time to figure out what to do with it."

Mr Crossan hopes to reopen the pub by May 1.

The bar area of the Clutha took the main impact of the crash, while those in the area where a band was playing were initially unaware that a helicopter had crashed into the building.

Inside the Clutha today, the scene looks largely as it would have done on the night of the disaster, when customers fled the building in panic.

A glass stands on the bar counter with change next to it, while an unfinished drink is on a crate on the stage.

Scattered flyers lie on the floor near the stage, while thick dust covers surfaces.

Pilot David Traill, who was attached to the Police Scotland air support unit, and police constables Tony Collins and Kirsty Nelis were killed when the Eurocopter EC 135 crashed on to the building.

Those killed in the pub were John McGarrigle, Mark O'Prey, Gary Arthur, Colin Gibson, Robert Jenkins and Samuel McGhee. Joe Cusker was pulled from the wreckage alive but later died in hospital.

An initial report said the aircraft suffered engine failure. The final conclusions of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch are expected to be released later this year.