THE family of a 31-year-old man who died following an incident in which a police officer was also injured face having to wait several weeks after initial tests proved inconclusive.

More than 5,000 people have supported an online campaign over the death of Sheku Bayoh, who was detained by police during the incident in Kirkcaldy, Fife, on Sunday and died a short time later in custody.

Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland, Scotland's most senior law officer, is to meet Mr Bayoh's family next week as tensions grow over the circumstances surrounding the death.

Police watchdogs have already met his relatives and their solicitor to update them on the progress of the investigation and said that liaison with the family will be ongoing.

The Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC), set up to investigate serious incidents involving the police, is leading the inquiry.

The PIRC said that the response to an appeal for information from the local community has been heartening but it is important that anyone else with information contact them.

Mr Bayoh, who had two children, reportedly moved to Scotland to start a new life after fleeing the civil war in Sierra Leone and lived with his partner Collette and baby son Isaac.

Aamer Anwar, legal representative for the family, said a three-hour meeting was held with family members and investigators on Wednesday.

He said: "Serious concerns were raised with regards to the several versions of events that were provided by Police Scotland officers in the aftermath of Sheku's death as well as other issues.

"It is extremely helpful that the Lord Advocate has instructed PIRC to completely take over investigation into Sheku's death and that maximum resources have been provided to a major investigation.

"We have instructed our own pathologist to liaise with the Crown and the cause of death is yet to be determined.

"This process could take several weeks."

He added: "We understand that tensions are running high in the community and much speculation has taken place in the last four days but this is unhelpful as well as causing further pain to a grieving family.

"It is of the greatest importance that a robust and impartial investigation by PIRC is allowed to take place and we would ask anyone with important information that could assist the inquiry to contact PIRC immediately or our office.

"As there is a live investigation it would be inappropriate to comment further and can advise that we will be meeting with the Lord Advocate next week.

"Sheku Bayoh's family are determined to seek the truth and will leave no stone unturned."

A Facebook page has been set up saying: "The family, friends and the public deserve answers leading to the death of Sheku Bayoh while in police custody".

PIRC said in a statement: "A meeting was held with the family and their solicitor and they have been updated with the progress of the investigation.

"Liaison with the family will continue.

"PIRC investigators are continuing with house to house investigations in Hayfield Road, Kirkcaldy.

"The response for information from the local community has been heartening but it is important that anyone else with information about the incident which occurred in Hayfield Road near to Hendry Road, Kirkcaldy, between 7am and 8am on Sunday, May 3, make contact with the PIRC investigators."

A spokesman for the Crown Office said: "The Lord Advocate is happy to meet Mr Bayoh's family.

"It would be inappropriate to give a running commentary in public of the investigation."

Police Scotland are unable to comment while the investigation is ongoing.