ORGANISERS of Scotland's biggest music festival have been forced to apologise after T in the Park was plunged into chaos with hundreds caught up in traffic mayhem.

Revellers registered bitter complaints of poor signage as traffic routes faced major delays as revellers struggled just to get off the Strathallan Castle site on Saturday night and into early Sunday morning. Others were forced to sleep in their cars and stay on site.

Tractors tried to haul some vehicles onto the exit road but with hundreds of cars to move, some people reportedly waited up to five hours for rescue.

Pick-up points were plunged into chaos when buses, taxis and pedestrian vehicles were all directed to use the same ring country road.

And folk who decided just to walk along the road to escape the site are said to have held up the flow of traffic even more.

Some revellers spoke of eight hour journeys to travel just 50 miles while others told of abandoning their Sunday festival visit in disgust.

On Sunday afternoon, it was confirmed that a man was knocked down by a coach when walking along one of the designated coach tracks. He was taken to hospital and his condition is unknown.

Organisers were posting repeated apologies throughout the night as fans complained about everything from the conditions for cars on the muddy site to inadequate stewarding.

As Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Prodigy, Stereophonics and Paloma Faith closed proceedings in Perthshire, festival director Geoff Ellis was issuing apologies.

He said: "Once again we apologise for the delays and the poor experience for some festival goers at the pick-up points last night.

"A few things contributed to the delays and we are working hard to rectify them for tonight because this is obviously not the way we want to end what has otherwise been a positive experience for music fans.

"It's a brand new site and the weather wasn't kind to us yesterday which led to a lot of people having to be towed from the West car park slowing us down because we don't have the benefit of 18 years of infrastructure that we did at Balado.

"We have continuously advised that there are no suitable pedestrian walkways in or out of the venue but over the last two nights, a high volume of people have done this anyway. This meant that the traffic coming into the pick-up points could not access the event, causing tailbacks and increasing the numbers walking as they tried to meet their pick-ups further along the road.

"We do apologise and we know that things should have been better than they were. We thank fans for their patience. We have put in place extra measures for people coming to the venue to pick up as well as fans heading to the exits."

At 2.45am on Sunday, officials posted: "We are very sorry that some of you are still waiting in queues at the pick up/ drop off areas.

"We are working hard to get vehicles moving and will have an update for you as soon as we can.

"Once again, we are so sorry!"

There was a further cloud over the event as it was confirmed a 36-year-old man was found dead at the T in the Park festival on Saturday afternoon.

Police said the death was currently being treated as unexplained.

The body is believed to have been discovered in toilets at the Strathallan Castle site in Auchterarder.

A T in the Park spokesman said: "We are extremely saddened by this news, and our thoughts are with the family at this time." He said the organisers were helping police with their inquiries.

Officers are also making inquiries into a video which appears to show an assault taking place at the campsite and have appealed for anyone with information to come forward "urgently".