SECOND half goals from Hayley Lauder and Erin Cuthbert ensured a ninth successive SWPL title for Glasgow City provided they turn up for their next league game against Aberdeen.

Only Hibs could have prevented that outcome, but the 2-0 scoreline leaves them six points in arrears and a goal difference that can't be overcome.

The game didn't live up to its billing, partly because Scott Booth had set up his side with half an eye on Thursday night's Champions League away game against Chelsea.

“We're going to have to defend really well against Chelsea and be compact, so there was a wee bit of that in it,” the City head coach admitted. “It was an opportunity to do that against a good side – because when you are open against Hibs they can hurt you.

Hibs head coach Chris Roberts admitted it was a below par performance. “I'm massively disappointed,” he admitted.

“I feel for the girls because they've had a great season, but it just wasn't our day. We created the most chances but apart from that we didn't fire on all cylinders.”

The game never approached the heights of the memorable 3-3 draws between the sides in the two previous league games at the Excelsior. The narrower pitch and City's tactics stifled the home side's normally effective counter-attacking style.

Had Hibs gone ahead through a bizarre lapse by the normally dependable Lee Alexander when she allowed Cheryl McCulloch's innocuous pass back to go under her foot the game would have had a different complexion – but fortunately for the City keeper there wasn't enough pace on the ball to allow it to cross the line.

The visitors had another lucky escape when, following a cross from Lisa Robertson - easily Hibs' best player - Lia Tweedie's header hit the bar.

A tentative game finally found a goal after 57 minutes. Denise O'Sullivan's fine through ball left Lauder clear in the box, and although the Scotland player didn't hit her shot well, it was enough to beat goalkeeper Jenna Fife.

City's second, nine minutes later, was more satisfactory. Cuthbert, who only recently turned 17, collected a loose ball just outside the Hibs box and fired in an excellent low shot.

Hibs threw off their earlier trepidation and came close to at least pulling a goal back - most notably when Kirsty Smith blasted the ball over from a great position.