A REPUBLICAN group has re-routed a march to commemorate the centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising away from a war memorial. 

Cairde na hEireann said it had changed the planned route for today’s event because of drilling work being carried out at Queen’s Park in Glasgow, where the march was due to end. 

However, it means that the procession will no longer pass the Cenotaph in George Square, a proposal which had sparked objections from loyalists. 
The Glasgow-based Loyalist group Regimental Blues had led protests about the route of the march as originally planned. 

HeraldScotland:

Kris McGurk, chairman of Regimental Blues, said after the route was announced: “Let there not be any doubt, Regimental Blues are prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure this parade goes nowhere near the Cenotaph – whatever it takes.”

The Loyalist group had organised a protest campaign to prevent the march, commemorating the outbreak of a rebellion in Dublin against British rule, from going past the George Square memorial.

However, it is understood that Glasgow City Council suggested that Queen’s Park was an inappropriate destination give the groundworks being carried out and the route was changed.  

About 1,000 people are expected to gather for the Scotland Remembers 1916 march which will now assemble at Kelvingrove for a procession to Glasgow Green taking in Kelvin Way, Sauchiehall Street, Pitt Street, West George Street, Renfield Street, Union Street, Jamaica Street, Clyde Street, Bridgegate, King Street, Trongate, Glasgow Cross, Gallowgate, Bain Street and London Road.

The Easter Rising of 1916 was mounted by Irish republicans who wanted to end British rule.

Cairde na hEireann supporters have held peaceful vigils in an area close to the High Street most week nights to remember the moment in Irish history.

Glasgow City Council said the original route for today’s march between Kelvingrove and Queen’s Park had been in line with their policies and code of conduct which seeks to use parks as assembly and dispersal points. 

But with extensive groundworks planned for Queen’s Park, it would limit the space available within the park.

A city council spokesman said: “The organiser’s original choice of dispersal point was not available, but we were able to agree an alternative location. We are grateful for their flexibility in proposing a new route.”

Superintendent Alan Murray said: “As in standard practice, Police Scotland submitted observations regarding an application by Cairde Na h’Eireann to hold amarch in Glasgow City Centre on Saturday 14 May 2016. The final decision regarding the route lies with Glasgow City Council.“We are aware of the route and the event will be policed appropriately.”

Cairde na hEireann is also to hold a march in Glasgow in June to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the 1981 hunger strikes in Northern Ireland.