A large scale cyber attack on Labour Party digital platforms failed due to robust security sytems, the party has said.

Party offficials said they were confident that no data breach occurred.

A party spokeswoman said they had reported the matter to the National Cyber Security Centre.

In a statement, Labour said: "We have experienced a sophisticated and large scale cyber attack on Labour digital platforms. We took swift action and these attempts failed due to our robust security systems.

"The integrity of all our platforms was maintained and we are confident that no data breach occurred.

"Our security procedures have slowed down some of our campaign activities, but these were restored this morning and we are back up to full speed. We have reported the matter to the National Cyber Security Centre."

READ MORE: Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey has own account hacked

A National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) source has said the cyber attack on the Labour Party was low level and that there was no evidence of sponsored activity.

Mr Corbyn said the cyber attacks took place yesterday against the Labour Party platform, adding it was a "very serious cyber attack".
He said: "We have a system in place in our office to protect us against these cyber attacks, but it was a very serious attack against us. So far as we're aware none of our information was downloaded and the attack was actually repulsed because we have an effective in-house developed system by people within our party.

"But if this is a sign of things to come in this election, I feel very nervous about it all because a cyber attack against a political party in an election is suspicious, something one is very worried about.

"A cyber attack, as happened in 2017 against our NHS, is something that is incredibly dangerous to the health records and the healthcare and treatment of potentially millions of people and so we do need far better defensive arrangements against cyber attacks made against us."

READ MORE: Two Scottish teenagers charged for cyber attack on Metropolitan Police

He added: "As to who undertook the attack, we're looking into all that at the moment and we've obviously reported the attack to the National Cyber Security Centre and they will be investigating it as well."

Some campaigning activities were temporarily slowed, but the systems were back up to speed by Tuesday morning.