Family have paid tributes to a "loving" Scottish husband and grandfather who died in the destruction caused by Storm Babet

Fifty six year-old John Gillan, from Arbroath, died after reports a tree struck his vehicle on the B9127 at Whigstreet near Forfar on Thursday (October 19).

In a statement released through Police Scotland, his family said: "We are devastated by the loss of John and the circumstances in which he died.

"John was a loving husband to Gaynor, dad to Marc, father-in-law to Natasha, and grandad to Reygan and Finley. He was also a loving son to John and Moira, brother to Wendy and a loving uncle, son-in-law and brother-in-law. John will be deeply missed by us all.

"Thank you to family and friends for supporting us through this indescribably difficult time."

They asked for their privacy to be respected while they grieve. 

Read more: Humza Yousaf says recovery funds will be found for Storm Babet victims

Emergency services rushed to the incident just after 5pm on Thursday, but Mr Gillan was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. 

There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death, said Police Scotland, and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

Mr Gillan was the second victim of Storm Babet, which swept across the UK last week causing 'unprecedented' flooding and strong winds. 

The Herald: Storm Babet brought extreme winds and flooding to the UKStorm Babet brought extreme winds and flooding to the UK (Image: SIMON MCCABE)

Fifty seven -year-old Wendy Taylor, described by her loved ones as a "ray of sunshine", died after being swept into the Water of Lee north of Brechin on Thursday.  

At least four people have died after the storm hit the UK, including a man in his 60s in Shropshire, and an 80-year-old woman found dead in her home in Derbyshire. 

Two rare red weather warnings were released by the Met Office for Storm Babet, which caused widespread disruption on the rails, roads, and some communities were forced to evacuate. 

Residents in Brechin, one of the worst-hit areas of Scotland, have been told they "may never return home" due to the scale of the flooding.