Transport Scotland and Network Rail have begun a ‘high‑level feasibility study’ into proposals to run ‘tram-trains’ on Edinburgh’s disused South Suburban rail line.
Campaigners with Tram Trains for Edinburgh (TTfE) have celebrated the news as they mark their one-year anniversary.
TTFE chair Rob Falcon said: “This month TTfE passes its first anniversary campaigning to return public transport to the South Sub – although of course many other groups have argued for this over the decades.
“The ‘game changer’ is the use of tram-trains that can run onto the existing tram line and into the city centre – avoiding the Waverley bottleneck; and with much of the infrastructure already in place, we believe this is a hugely practical project.”
The Tram-Trains for Edinburgh team at Newington Station. (Image: NQ)
On Monday morning, Transport Scotland confirmed it had begun the survey, posting to X: “We're working with @NetworkRailSCOT to carry out a high‑level feasibility study for the potential use of tram-trains on the South Suburban line in Edinburgh.
“The study will identify practical challenges and opportunities of reintroducing passenger services.”
Mr Falcon went on to say: “We welcome this great news for TTfE, as will all our members, supporters and thousands of people across Edinburgh - and indeed many of our political representatives - who have called for the project. Thanks to Transport Scotland.”
It is hoped that the reintroduction of passenger services to the South Sub could be a ‘quick win’ for transport chiefs seeking to cope with population growth and congestion.
The Herald has previously reported how the SNP promised to provide money for the study in its election manifesto.
The Scottish Government agreed to fund the feasibility study after City of Edinburgh councillors tasked Transport Convener Stephen Jenkinson with writing to his SNP counterpart Stephen Flynn.
Tram-trains, which are used in a number of European cities, are sturdier and capable of going at higher speeds than normal trams.
If plans are deemed to be feasible, a business case will be drawn up for the construction of the network, which will include 12 stops between Gorgie and Portobello.
“You're probably talking about a few hundred million pounds; and it's a fairly shovel ready project,” Mr Falcon told The Herald in May.
Existing stations at Craiglockhart, Morningside, Blackford Hill, Newington, Craigmillar, and Brunstane would be brought back into service, while new stops would be built at Gorgie, Cameron Toll, Bingham/Niddrie, Fort Kinnaird, and Portobello.
Fellow TTfE campaigner Marion Craig told The Herald: “As other people here have been saying, it's a no-brainer. The infrastructure is largely there, so let's put some trams on the line.”
Three months later, the campaign is one step closer to reality.
Map of the proposed extension. (Image: South Sub Team)
However, there are key questions that the study will need to answer.
A previous regional transport review published in December 2022 did not recommend that “heavy rail services” be reinstated on the South Sub line. This was due to a lack of capacity at Haymarket and Waverley stations.
The rail line has been closed to passengers since 1962.
Furthermore, the conversion of the South Sub would require engineering work to link up with the tram route near Murrayfield, as well as work to bridge the East Coast Main Line to reach Portobello.
The project has also received support from local councillors and other officials.
Speaking to The Herald last week, Southside/Newington by-election candidate Artie Khovanov expressed his support for the tram-train project.
“I'm very keen on [the plans],” he said. “Having investment in infrastructure is really important. Housing as well, but infrastructure also, because it expands the effective size of the city where people can live and commute within a reasonable amount of time.
The LibDem activist added: “I think the South Sub line is an example of a perfect project that is much less likely to face these sorts of issues because the track is already there.
Read more:
- South Sub tram-trains 'perfect project' to spur city growth, says Lib Dem candidate
- SNP makes manifesto commitment to explore new tram-train route in Edinburgh
- 'It can be done': Ex-Network Rail boss on hopes of tram-trains on Edinburgh South Sub
“There's no issue with potentially having to move people or disrupt businesses. And most crucially, the Scottish Government is actually willing to put money towards it.”
Similarly, Jonathan Pugh, Network Rail's former Strategy and Planning Director for Scotland, told The Herald last November that the case for tram-trains was "much stronger than ever before".
He remarked: "Tram-trains reduce the big objection that the railway used to have to this, which is that all you were doing was going to be putting people on quite a long, infrequent journey round the sub to get into the centre.
“There are questions that would need to be answered. For example, about what you do with freight trains and heavy rail trains that are diverted via the sub. So it's not quite 100% that this is the solution, but certainly a very good way of moving forward."
Share