Fire fighters arrived at Croydon College yesterday to put out an electrical fire, caused by an old piece of equipment overheating.

The problem started at 10am on January 7 when a motor starter from the compressor that supplies air to various engineering workshops overheated and started smoking.

The compressor was installed in the 1950s and although it is regularly serviced and maintained, it overheated as a result of old age.

A spokesman for the college, said: "No-one was hurt and the buildings were evacuated immediately. Plans were already in place to update the compressor."