WATSONIANS have established themselves as the early season pace-setters in this inaugural Super6 campaign after backing up their win against the Southern Knights at the Greenyards in round one with another win on the road against Heriot’s at Goldenacre yesterday.

They had trailed 17-12 at half-time but scored 20 unanswered points after the break to take the spoils in a keenly-contested Edinburgh derby.

Man-of-the-match Joe Edwards scored an excellent individualist try for the winning team, while Lomond MacPherson claimed a brace, with Angus Guthrie and Cal Davies also getting over the line. Lee Millar kicked two conversions and a penalty.

READ MORE: Glasgow 13 Sale 7: Rennie relieved as Warriors survive a scare after letting Sharks strike back

“It was a game of two halves,” said head coach Fergus Pringle. “We gave away some soft penalties in the first half so that meant we couldn’t keep any pressure on them, then we were a bit more disciplined on the second half which allowed our game plan to come to fruition a bit more.

“There’s things that we know we need to get better at, so we’ll bank the points and start thinking about next week because we know that Stirling will be a massive challenge”

Heriots’ first half points came through tries from Rory McMichael and Scott Riddell, with Alex Ball converting both and kicking a 40-yard penalty.

“At half-time it felt like we had dominated the game and had gifted them two scores, but then from the 41st minute we struggled to do the simple things: we missed penalties touch, we had a four-on-one right at the start of the second half and carried it into contact instead of putting it through the hands, and so on,” said beaten head coach Phil Smith.

“So, it was just poor decision-making and I suppose that’s the whole point of this competition, to expose guys so that they are better when it is harder.

“It is frustrating because they scored five tries in the end, and it wasn’t a five try performance. We didn’t put them under pressure in the right areas of the field.”

Stirling County are second in the table after fighting out a tense 24-24 draw at home to Southern Knights on Saturday afternoon, while Ayr bounced back from their defeat to Heriot’s last weekend with a 32-27 win at home to Boroughmuir Bears – which leaves the Graham Shiel's men at the foot of the table with only two losing bonus points to their name.


READ MORE: George Taylor happy to give Richard Cockerill a headache

Meanwhile, in the Premiership, Marr recovered their mojo following a couple of sub-par performances in recent weeks with an emphatic 61-7 win over Aberdeen Grammar, which underlined their credentials as the team to beat during the second half of the season.

The Fullarton men ran in nine tries with stand-off Colin Sturgeon and full-bck Greg Montgomery bagging a brace each, while Jack Scott, Conor Bickerstaff, Oli Rossie, Scott Bickerstaff and Fraser Grant also got on the score sheet. However, the moment of the match was the 75-yard interception try scored by Grammar centre Tom Aplin.

“The first 20 minutes in particular were excellent,” said Marr head coach Craig Redpath. “We came out with real tempo and a few things we had worked on came to fruition. There was one error when we gave an intercept and they ran the length which was disappointing, but apart from the I’ve got no complaints.

“I still think there is a few things we are leaving out there at the moment, and I think we looked at the score and got a wee bit individualistic instead of doing things that we did well in the first half – but overall we’re very happy with that.”

Glasgow Hawks’ revival after a tough start to the season continued when they picked up an excellent bonus-point 35-17 home win against Edinburgh Accies.

READ MORE: Fraser Brown pens Glasgow Warriors contract extension

“The boys got a bit of belief when they won down in Hawick two matches ago and then the performance against Marr last week probably deserved a win,” said head coach Andy Gill. “They’ve had a totally different belief in the last two or three weeks, and you can see that in this performance, with guys going out there expecting to win, and that’s what we spoke about going to do.”

There was no such joy for GHA who lost at home to Selkirk with head coach Trevor Carmichael insisting his players only had themselves to blame. “We had three or four missed tackles that gave away tries. Our discipline at times gave away a few penalties. So, it was a hard one to take. We were probably 10 percent off where we want to be game-plan wise,” he said.

Hawick were convincing 33-0 winners in their Border derby against Jed-Forest at Mansfield Park, while second in the table Currie Chieftains kept the pressure on Marr with a 57-7 success at home to Musselburgh.