Callum Hendry comes from good footballing stock. His well-kent, well-travelled faither, Colin, didn’t shy away from many challenges during his playing pomp and he wasn't going to pull out of a trip to Somerset Park on a grisly old day that was as dismal as Sawney Bean’s cave.

“Dad asked me for a ticket so I asked him if he wanted one with the fans or with the directors and he said to stick him in with the fans,” said 22-year-old Callum who was at the forefront of St Johnstone’s victory over the 10-men of Ayr United in the William Hill Scottish Cup. “He grew up in that weather. He loves it. He texted me after the game to say he was buzzing.”

No wonder. Hendry watched his son help the Saints go marching into the last eight with Callum claiming the Perth side’s leveller – it did come off Ayr’s Aaron Muirhead on its way to the net – before heading in a fine winner before the half hour. Ayr’s efforts were admirable but they were undone by Muirhead’s sending off during a damaging 10 minutes in which they lost two goals and a man.

St Johnstone won the Scottish Cup back in 2014 and Hendry sees no reason why Tommy Wright’s men can’t enjoy another silver lining.

“No-one thinks it is not possible to get to Hampden,” added the Lytham-born striker. “It definitely is. Everyone knows the club is capable of a cup run and, hopefully, we can have a bit of luck and reach the final. There is nothing stopping us.”

Having put pen to paper on a new two-year deal last month, Hendry has been lifted by the faith shown in him and he is determined to make sure he is now a regular starter. “Coming off the bench and making a difference for the team is important but a starting position is up for grabs and, as long as I stay on my game, I’m capable of taking it,” he said. “Super-sub is not a title you want.”

Ayr had started on the front foot and eased ahead on four minutes through Aaron Drinan’s tidy finish before it all went to pot.

“The first 20 minutes or so we battered them and didn’t give them a minute’s rest,” said Drinan. "But to concede so soon after that and then concede quickly again after the red card was so disappointing.”