Glasgow could not escape the Welsh lockdown with a win, the home side able to impose plenty of restrictions on the visitors to close out a first victory over them in three years.

It left Glasgow coach Danny Wilson more than a little frustrated.

“For the first 30 minutes we were 100 per cent in control and should have taken more points from our opportunities,” he admitted. “We had pressure in attack but made errors, spilling the ball and they were happy going down the other end and taking points from that.

“It was a young group with new combinations which will take time, but there were a few situations where we made errors and lost momentum. We should have been in position to win, but did not even get a bonus point. Coming away with nothing is frustrating, but there were lessons to be learned.”

While there were no Barbarian-style infringements of Covid protocol, the Ospreys did lose replacement hooker Scott Otten before kick-off due to someone close to him testing positive.

The game was played in wet conditions and an eerie atmosphere, which was not helped by the decision to play background crowd noise which naturally was out of sync with anything happening on the pitch.

Glasgow started positively with their international centres Sam Johnson, Huw Jones and Nick Grigg combining to carry the ball close to the Ospreys line.

Jones, playing at full-back, returned out wide to collect a straightforward pass from Peter Horne and go over unopposed.

The Ospreys could have hit back with a try of their own, but desperate Glasgow scrambling defence kept out left-wing Mat Protheroe meaning the home team were restricted to a penalty.

Glasgow were being helped by the whistle of Irish referee George Clancy keeping the Ospreys in line, meaning the visitors had the chance to kick for the corner. They had a couple of goes at the driving line-out, but eventually managed to twist past the Ospreys pack defence and hooker George Turner went over for the try, converted by Horne.

However, it was close by the time the sides went in for the half-time break. Ospreys scrum- half Reuben Morgan-Williams was a constant threat, nearly creating a try for centre Keiran Williams before going over himself from the resulting five-yard scrum.

Stephen Myler landed his second kick from in front of the posts and there were just two points in it at the break.

That soon turned into an Ospreys lead, Myler landing a penalty a couple of minutes into the second period.

Horne replied but then it was the Ospreys turn to go for the driving line-out on the Glasgow line. The visitors held out, but only by leaving space away from the ruck which allowed Williams to go over in the corner, Myler adding the conversion from touch.

Myler added a 40-yard penalty to put his team eight points clear, but there was almost a quarter-of-an-hour left for Glasgow to pull the game out of the fire.

They had chances, Jones breaking through but unable to get the ball to Niko Matawalu, and then a period of pressure on the line without the forwards being unable to break through.

Each time the Ospreys were able to clear their line more easily than should have been the case, Glasgow failing to protect the ball.

The mistakes count crept up as the clock counted down, so the Ospreys were able to survive a yellow card for lock Adam Beard for the final eight minutes. In the end that error count was to prove crucial as the Ospreys closed out their victory.

Scorers, Ospreys – Tries: Morgan-Williams, K Williams. Cons: Myler 2. Pens: Myler 3.

Glasgow Warriors – Tries: Jones, Turner. Con: Horne. Pen: Horne.

Ospreys: D Evans; M Protheroe, S Williams (T Thomas-Wheeler 47), K Williams, L Morgan, S Myler (J Thomas not used), R Morgan-Williams (H Morgan 70); R Jones (G Thomas ), D Lake

(S Otten 74), M Fia (T Botha 48), A Beard, B Davies, O Cracknell (W Griffiths 72), D Lydiate (Capt), J King (S Cross 56).

Glasgow Warriors: H Jones, T Seymour, N Grigg, S Johnson, R Tagive (N Matawalu 53), P Horne, J Dobie (S Kennedy 66); A Seiuli (A Allan 53), G Turner (G Stewart 66), D Rae (E Pieretto 74), H Bain (F Lokotui 70), R Gray, R Wilson (Capt), T Gordon, T Ioane (C Fusaro 56).

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU).