THE historic title has long been won for Rangers. Now it is the record books that are their main focus before they are crowned as Premiership champions.

The 90 minutes against Aberdeen on Saturday are all that stand between Steven Gerrard’s side and an unbeaten campaign after another match was ticked off and Livingston were beaten.

The current tally of 99 points has surpassed their previous record of 97 that was achieved during the memorable 2002/03 campaign as Alex McLeish’s side won the league on the final day. The century is now within touching distance.

And so is the British record for goals conceded. This clean sheet means Gerrard’s side have lost just 13 goals this term and they will surely beat the figure of 15 set by Chelsea during Jose Mourinho’s first spell at Stamford Bridge.

This has been a season like no other in Scottish football. The feats of Rangers are as unique as the circumstances under which they have been achieved and this victory was another show of strength and superiority.

A James Tavernier penalty and strike from Ryan Kent ensured Livingston were beaten before the hour mark. After the break, Ianis Hagi completed a win that was as routine as it appeared and as straightforward as so many others this term.

This may have been a depleted Rangers squad, but they found a way to win once again. That has been one of the hallmarks of their success this term and that character and spirit was evident here.

Gerrard had detailed the extent of his injury problems at his pre-match press conference on Tuesday morning. Those that could play were in short supply and a bench of just six names – including goalkeeper Allan McGregor and youngster Leon King – showed the paucity of Gerrard’s resources as his other options were limited to four forwards.

Rangers may have been without a natural left-back and cover across the pitch, but there was still enough attacking threat available to give them belief that they could emerge victorious.

Come the break, they were halfway towards that ambition as the man who has recently returned from his own lengthy lay-off fired them ahead late in the first half.

A band of more than 100 supporters had gathered on the hill that overlooks the Tony Macaroni Arena but there was little to give them any real encouragement. It was only after Tavernier’s opener that they were able to burst into a chorus of ‘championis’.

Livingston had applauded Gerrard’s side onto the park in recognition of their achievement this term. Once the action got underway, there was a definite end of season feel about it.

The start from the champions had been the more positive of the two sides but opportunities were in short supply and any chances Livingston had emerged from Rangers mistakes.

Jack Simpson looked susceptible as he was targeted by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on several occasions. Simpson’s first outings at Ibrox haven’t exactly been convincing and he struggled here as JET outmuscled him too easily on a couple of occasions.

The first saw Simpson end up on the deck before Jon McLaughlin came off his line to narrow the angle and deny Josh Mullin.

When Simpson was beaten again, he picked up a booking for holding JET’s shirt and Rangers were fortunate that Mullin couldn’t punish them as he wasted a free-kick from a promising position.

The only other moment that Livingston had came from another Mullin free-kick. Fortunately for Rangers, Jon Guthrie couldn’t get enough on it and McLaughlin gathered easily.

A couple of long-range efforts were all that Rangers could muster before they opened the scoring. Hagi was closer than Ryan Kent with his effort but keeper Max Stryjek wasn’t worried on either occasion as they missed the target from right and left sides respectively.

He was concerned when Hagi burst through minutes later, though. A Glen Kamara pass was neatly flicked on by Kemar Roofe and Hagi only had the keeper to beat but he was wiped out before referee Don Robertson pointed to the spot.

Tavernier’s strike was well placed and powerful and Stryjek had no chance as the right-back made it 19 goals in a remarkable campaign. The moment he has waited so long for will arrive on Saturday.

Rangers’ victory here earlier in the campaign moved them to within touching distance of the title and fans had started the party early with a fireworks display in the 55th minute. As the clock ticked into that time again, the pyrotechnics were set off at both ends of the ground.

Most of the group that had gathered were now outside the end that Rangers were shooting towards and the winning goal arrived just seconds later as Kent knocked a Tavernier pass into Morelos and then converted from close range when the Colombian squared it back to him.

Livingston should have given themselves a chance of a comeback but the woodwork denied them twice in quick succession. Scott Pittman saw his effort rattle McLaughlin’s bar, before Jaze Kabia somehow hit the post from six yards out with the Rangers keeper beaten.

That profligacy would cost them. When the third goal arrived, it was Rangers that got it as Cedric Itten found Hagi and the Romanian slotted home from close range.

The job was done once again for Rangers. It has been for quite some time this season.