Ian McCall has been sacked by Partick Thistle just hours after the Scottish Cup defeat to Rangers.

The manager had been in the dugout at Ibrox this afternoon for the 3-2 defeat and completed media duties after the match before the shock announcement.

Alan Archibald and Neil Scally have also been relieved of their duties by Partick Thistle club chiefs.

Under-18 coach and club legend Kris Doolan has been placed in charge of the first-team on an interim basis after McCall's departure.

He will be assisted by academy director Paul McDonald.

Thistle currently sit just one point outside of the Championship play-off spots but fell to defeat against both Hamilton and Cove Rangers in their last two league outings.

READ MORE: Rangers 3 Partick 2: Touch of class from Michael Beale amid cup drama

A club statement read: "Partick Thistle FC have this evening relieved Ian McCall, Alan Archibald and Neil Scally, of their duties in relation to the first team with immediate effect.

"The club would like to place on record its sincere appreciation to all three for their contributions to Partick Thistle over many years.

"Under 18 coach Kris Doolan will take on the role of First Team Manager on an interim basis, and will be assisted in this regard by Academy Director Paul McDonald.

"At this crucial juncture of the season, we ask all members of the Partick Thistle family, to get behind Kris and the team as we strive for promotion to the Scottish Premiership.

"No further comment will be made this evening."

Championship side Partick Thistle were narrowly edged out by Rangers in a thrilling Scottish Cup fifth-round encounter not short of drama.

The visitors had taken the lead through a Kevin Holt penalty after David Munro pointed to the spot following a VAR check for a contentious handball against Antonio Colak.

The Croatian striker levelled for Rangers after the break before a major flashpoint when Malik Tillman netted a controversial second for his side.

READ MORE: Ian McCall hails Michael Beale gesture and makes Malik Tillman call

Play had been halted for the Bayern Munich loanee to receive treatment. Thistle then looked to play the ball to Rangers but Tillman pinched the ball before rounding keeper Jamie Sneddon and poking home.

After outrage from Thistle players and officials, Michael Beale ordered his team allow their opposition to level the score after the major communication breakdown.

A header from James Sands with four minutes left saw Rangers progress after a breathless second period.

After the match - when quizzed on the Tillman incident and subsequent 'free goal' - McCall commented: “I've been in football since 1981 and I've never seen anything like it before. 

“I think I'd have done it if I'm being honest. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we had won 3-2 but he made the decision and I think it was the right one. I think sometimes a bit of class is going out of football but that showed it.”

The Herald:

At The Herald and Times we know the importance of reaching you where it's convenient, which is why we've engaged top sportswriter James Morgan to bring you an irreverent daily update on what's happening in the world of sport. Be it football, golf, rugby, cricket or something more exotic, James will tread where the best stories take him. To get this exclusive bespoke piece sent directly to your email inbox for free every day at 5pm, simply take a few seconds to type in your email here. It's that simple!