CELTIC stormed through to the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup as goals from Aaron Mooy and Kyogo bookended the first-half at Tynecastle and gave Ange Postecoglou’s men an unassailable lead against a Hearts outfit who never really got going.

Cameron Carter-Vickers added a third with 10 minutes remaining to put the icing on the cake of an impressive Celtic performance.

Here are five talking points from Tynecastle…


After falling behind to Hearts after a poor start in their Premiership clash at Celtic Park on Wednesday night, Celtic were clearly in no mood to allow a repeat here, blasting out of the blocks to stun Tynecastle into silence.

The warning signs were there in the opening seconds, as Sead Haksabanovic got in down the left and squared to Reo Hatate, who brought out a flying save from Hearts keeper Zander Clark.

Just moments later, there was nothing Clark could do as another devastating, sweeping Celtic attack ended with the ball flying into the home net. Though, perhaps Kyle Rowles could have done a little better, allowing Alastair Johnston’s pass to slip through to Jota and send the winger scarpering down the right.

From there, the winger got his head up to pick out the supporting run of Mooy arriving late at the edge of the area, and the midfielder met his pass with a delicious, controlled side-foot finish high past Clark to give Celtic the perfect start.


Just about the only notable kick that Kyogo had as the clock ticked towards half-time had been one inflicted upon him by Hearts midfielder Kio, who clattered the striker in the middle of the park.

Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou had spoken after the win over these same opponents during the week about the need for Kyogo’s teammates to use him more, with the forward’s constant movement often apparently going unnoticed.

If anything, he was even less involved in the general play here, particularly early on, but when he does make a contribution it tends to be a significant one.

So it proved here, as he stole in front of his marker to put one of his few touches in the first half - and the last kick of the opening period all told – into the Hearts net for Celtic’s second goal.

As usual, it was a brilliant piece of movement that afforded him the space, getting free at the front post to meet Johnston’s low cross and divert a beautiful backheel across Clark and into the net.

After the break he was in the thick of the action a little more, and should have had an assist as some brilliant set-up play created a chance that Jota spurned, showing that he is more than just an accomplished finisher.


At times, it can almost feel as if Joe Hart goes looking for something to do given the lack of action that often takes place in front of his goal. The key for a Celtic goalkeeper though is to retain focus and be ready for when the big moments arrive.

Hart certainly was here, producing a vital save at a critical point in the first half as Hearts threatened to recover from Celtic’s whirlwind start to the match.

A free-kick was floated towards the back post where James Hill rose and nodded it down for Toby sibbick, who swivelled like a striker and got a low shot away that Hart did brilliantly to get down and repel with a strong wrist.

Not only that, he quickly shot across his line to divert the loose ball behind for a corner kick, taking a fair old whack from Hill in the process who had already committed to his attempt at sliding it home.

He may not be asked to produce many saves, but Hart can still come up with quality stops when he is required to.


Hearts manager Robbie Neilson had complained during the week that one of his players would have to be decapitated for a Celtic player to be sent off after a poor Alexandro Bernabei tackle went unpunished, but his counterpart Postecoglou might have had reason to wonder what it would take for his men to get a penalty in this one.

Johnston ventured forward and swung a cross into the Hearts area, but as the ball left his foot, he was clattered into by Andy Halliday as he arrived late in his attempt to block.

It appeared to be a decent shout for a penalty, but neither referee Kevin Clancy nor the VAR official paid any heed.


Hearts have a decent squad, but given there were 10 players sitting behind their dugout with injuries for this one – meaning manager Neilson could only name seven subs – they were always going to be up against it.

That included key personnel such as Lawrence Shankland and Robert Snodgrass, players that Hearts cannot do without if they are to have any chance of upsetting the odds against this quality of opponent.

Alas, what would have been an uphill task in any circumstances proved a mountainous one without their star men.