Dunfermline secured promotion back to the Championship by wrapping up the League One title with a thumping 5-0 home victory over Queen of the South.

The hosts’ first goal came from a short corner, collected by Rangers loanee Kane Ritchie-Hosler who tucked the ball past the near post after 22 minutes.

Matthew Todd made it two before the break with his 11th of the season and Craig Wighton bagged a brace after the restart.

Paul Allan tried to add his name to the scoresheet but pinged an effort off the crossbar but into the path of fellow substitute Kevin O’Hara, who capped off the significant Pars win with a strike of his own.

After the win, James McPake told the Dunfermline club website: “I don`t think it`s sunk in.

"I'm just delighted for the players. I'm delighted to see them with their families out on the pitch after the game. I'm delighted with the performance.

"I thought it was excellent, against a Queen of the South team that were the form team in the league.”

Assistant Dave Mackay added: “I think the players should have earned a bit more respect for what we have done this season.

"I think we are thirteen points clear at the minute with three games still to go. We have had nineteen clean sheets, we are twenty-one (league) games unbeaten but it just looks at times although we don’t look too far into it, but I don’t think the players in there get enough respect for what they have achieved this season."

A last-gasp Rumarn Burrell effort ensured second-placed Falkirk picked up a point in their 2-2 home draw with Airdrieonians.

Rangers loanee Kai Kennedy saw his 29th-minute opener cancelled out by Calum Gallagher on the other side of half-time.

The Diamonds took the lead after 63 minutes through Gallagher’s spot-kick but a minute from time Liam Henderson nodded the ball in the direction of Burrell, who salvaged a point for his side from close range.

Fourth-placed Alloa kept themselves in the promotion play-off picture with a dramatic 1-0 win over Kelty Hearts after Conor Sammon scored the only goal in the third minute of stoppage time.

It was the opposite scenario at New Douglas Park where Clyde’s 2-1 victory over Edinburgh was decided in the first half.

Martin Rennie was credited with the opener after Kyle Doherty’s effort after eight minutes deflected off him before going in but the sides were all square after Innes Murray’s 29th-minute equaliser.

Barry Cuddihy fired in the winner for Clyde after 40 minutes.

Montrose beat bottom-of-the-table Peterhead 2-1 at home, Michael Gardyne and Paul Watson scoring before Kieran Shanks grabbed a consolation.