Max Kucheriavyi has opened up on his St Johnstone frustrations after being sent out on loan to Falkirk back in January.

The Ukrainian youngster has impressed in League One with John McGlynn's side and was a standout at Hampden on Saturday, despite his team's loss in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Inverness.

Kucheriavyi, 20, feels he was never really given a chance under the leadership of Callum Davidson at McDiarmid Park, but he hopes his current loan spell will help his chances when he returns in the summer.

He said: “I signed a new deal until 2025 at St Johnstone.

“I have spoken to Gus MacPherson and Liam Craig but they have a lot going on there right now with the group they have right now.

“I am sure we will get to talk at some point.

“I thought I had a good pre-season this year after good loan spells last season but I don’t think I got my chance.

“I played against Celtic and then I played 20 minutes after that. Sometimes you wonder what you have to do to be playing.

“Was I frustrated? Yes. I thought I played well against Celtic but then I was on the bench or in the stand.

“But I try to be the best version of myself and I would never go to the manager and tell him he has to play me.

“I respected any decision the manager made. He is the man in charge and he has his ideas and I respect that.

“I needed games and I had some options at the start of the January window. 

“But I was told after the European window shut, I could only stay in Scotland and Falkirk were the best option.

“I am enjoying it here, I am playing and that’s what I wanted.

“I am not worried about next season or anything. I am just trying to do my best for Falkirk and try to get the team promoted.

“I can only focus on that and try to help the club bounce back.”

On the frustration of Saturday's semi-final defeat, Kucheriavyi added: “Inverness were so clinical and we weren’t and that was the difference between us.

“Goals are the only things that matter and they used their chances, while we didn’t.

“That’s why they are in the final and we went home with nothing.

“Some people said the penalty was soft but the referee who gave it, so he is the one making the decisions. 

“It didn’t feel like a suckerpunch as we conceded early against Ayr in the last round and we knew we were more than capable of staying strong, playing our game and creating chances.

“We had a great one at 1-0 but we hit the post. I had a header and a shot but sadly none of them went in.

“When we hit the post I didn’t think it wasn’t going to be our day. I stayed positive and was doing my best to get us back into it.

“When we had another open goal chance with Gary Oliver then I did think the ball was refusing to go into the net.

“It was a great occasion to be involved in but I have never been so disappointed.

“I will need to stay away from football for a while to get over this.

“The last time I was here was with St Johnstone when we won it. I was standing at the side and Glenn Middleton pushed me into the middle.

“I didn’t know how I ended up next to Jason Kerr but that was a nice moment.

“I am going from game to game trying to be better every day. It hurts right now.”