Owen Coyle has left Queen's Park.

The 56-year-old took over the club in March 2022 and guided the Spiders to promotion to the Championship following their play-off wins against Dunfermline and Airdrieonians.

However, the experienced boss has decided to quit just days after their Premiership play-off loss to Partick Thistle.

Queen's Park led the way in the Championship for the vast majority of the campaign. 

They were pipped to the title in a final-day showdown with Dundee in a straight shootout to see who lifted the crown and secure automatic promotion.

Gary Bowyer's side deservedly got over the line with a 5-3 victory at Ochilview. 

He left just days after securing the title success for the Dens Park side. 

And Coyle has taken the decision to leave his role as No.1 at Queen's too.

READ MORE: Hugh Dallas calls on referee & VAR decisions to be broadcast

This will leave director of football Marijn Beuker and chief executive Leeann Dempster on the hunt for a new boss to try to lead them into the Premiership next season.

Coyle said: “It’s with a heavy heart that I inform everyone that I will be leaving Queen’s Park. I informed the Club of my wish to leave after what has been an outstanding last 12 months winning promotion to the Championship when nobody gave us a chance of doing so and then coming so close to winning the league and reaching the Premiership playing exciting and entertaining football.

"I would like to thank my first team staff and everyone that helped make it an enjoyable year, Queen’s Park is a wonderful club with an amazing set of supporters who I want to personally thank. I wish the Club continued success on its journey.”

Dempster added: “Although disappointing, we respect Owen’s decision and wish him well for the future, and we thank him for his efforts over the last twelve months.

“We now begin the task of finding a new head coach to help us in our aims of being the best club to develop talented young players and achieving success on the pitch.”

The Spiders lost 4-3 at Firhill in the first leg of their play-off before they were thrashed 4-0 on Friday, as their season came to a sorry end.

Partick Thistle will now take on Ayr United in a two-legged play-off to learn who faces the second-bottom side in the Premiership for a place in next season's top flight. 

Meanwhile, former Scottish referee Hugh Dallas insists it would be helpful for conversations between on-field officials and VAR to be broadcast to the wider public.

The former grade one ref believes by airing such communications, it will improve transparency in our game.

He insists it would help to "clarify" decisions for fans, as well as managers, players, and pundits.

The Herald:

At The Herald and Times we know the importance of reaching you where it's convenient, which is why we've engaged top sportswriter James Morgan to bring you an irreverent daily update on what's happening in the world of sport. Be it football, golf, rugby, cricket or something more exotic, James will tread where the best stories take him. To get this bespoke piece sent directly to your email inbox for free every day at 5pm, simply take 5 seconds to type in your email here. It's that simple!