A CONTROVERSIAL Bojan Miovski penalty for Aberdeen in the 10th minute of injury-time denied St Mirren victory and top spot in the cinch Premiership at the SMISA Stadium this afternoon.

Stephen Robinson’s side, who fell behind to a Jonny Hayes free-kick just before half-time, had looked set to maintain their 100 per cent start to the league campaign in Paisley and leapfrog Rangers, Motherwell and Celtic in the table thanks to second-half Greg Kiltie and Alex Grieve goals.

However, referee John Beaton awarded the visitors a spot kick at the death after checking his pitchside monitor and ruling that Alex Gogic had handled a Leighton Clarkson shot inside his own area.

READ MORELee Johnson sacked by Hibs after dire start to season

Miovski netted from 12 yards to level the match – but  the St Mirren players were convinced the striker had made a double connection with the ball and the late, late equaliser was only allowed to stand following a VAR check.

So were Robinson’s men hard done by? Did Barry Robson’s charges deserve to take a point for their efforts? Here are five talking points.


St Mirren laid siege to the Aberdeen goal during the opening 45 minutes. Only a lack of composure by their forward players and the outstanding play of goalkeeper Kelle Roos prevented them from taking the lead.

Kiltie headed wide and Richard Taylor nodded over. Kiltie then failed to get a touch on a penetrating Ryan Strain delivery from just a few yards out.

Roos, though, did superbly to deny Strain, Kiltie and Olutoysi Olusanya. His excellence enabled his team to take a lead their outfield play did not merit.   

The Herald:

The Dutchman fumbled a Keanu Baccus shot early in the second-half and Kiltie pounced on the rebound and netted. Fortunately for him, the goal was disallowed after a lengthy check.

He did well to get quickly off his line and block an Olusanya effort with his leg after the forward broke from inside his own half. His team would have been hammered without him. HAYEMAKER

Sucker punch doesn’t begin to describe Hayes’ freak opener for Aberdeen. The Pittodrie club had not managed a single shot either on or off target all game when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the opposition area for a Taylor shove on Duk three minutes before half-time.

READ MOREJamie McGrath relishing Aberdeen European challenge

The wing back’s free-kick was a good one. Still, St Mirren goalkeeper Zach Hemming should have done far better. Or one of his defenders should have cleared the ball to safety. The moment of madness ultimately cost the hosts dear.

The 36-year-old scorer held his arms aloft and celebrated his first goal in over a year - and one of the most bizarre strikes of his long professional career.


Falling behind in such unusual circumstances at a critical stage in the match after dominating the entire first-half could have had a demoralising affect on Marcus Fraser and his team mates.

They deserve enormous credit for redoubling their efforts in the second, coming from behind and securing a hard-fought draw.  

The Herald:

Aberdeen, who have picked up just two points from their opening three Premiership matches, will have to do far better to beat Hakken next week and clinch a place in the Europa League group stage.


Scottish Conservates leader Douglas Ross had chants of “you’re just a fat Tory b******” aimed in his direction when he emerged from the tunnel to run the line before kick-off and had a few further insults hurled at him once play got underway.

The flak, though, clearly did nothing to faze the assistant referee. He raised his flag for offside after Keanu Baccus had netted in the first-half. But his VAR colleagues in Clydesdale House confirmed it was the correct call after watching a replay.  

This was a tricky encounter for John Beaton and his assistants to take charge of and then some.

The match official booked Conor McMenemin for diving after a penalty claim, Robinson for his angry reaction to the Hayes goal and Robson for protesting about the yellow card he showed Duk.

He chalked off two goals and awarded two spot kicks. The end of the match was bonkers. He will not have many busier days at the office this season.


The three stand retention policy that St Mirren brought in last season sparked fury among their opponents’ fans.

READ MORELuis Rubiales cannot be allowed to cling on to Spain role

Celtic and Ranger supporters were especially irked when they learned that visiting sides would only be given tickets for the away end at the SMISA Stadium and predicted the move would cost their rivals financially.

There were, though, very few empty seats inside the ground when the action commenced. The 7,492-strong crowd created a great atmosphere. Buddies have responded to both the initiative and the form their heroes have been exhibiting this term in impressive fashion. Their club are reaping rewards on and off the park.

The Herald: