The nomadic Queen’s Park have pitched up at various grounds around the country in recent years. Falkirk stadium, Firhill and Ochilview have all welcomed the Spiders as they couch-surfed their way through the leagues. A return to their true home turf meant only one thing for opposition supporters, a trip to the ever-elusive Hampden Park.

Partick Thistle have long been starved of a day out at the national stadium. Time and time again, the Jags fall at the last hurdle, coming a cropper at the quarter-final stage of major cup competitions in their quest for a party at the grandest stage of them all. In fact, you need to go back twenty-one years for the Firhill side’s last semi-final occasion, a 3-0 tanking at the hands of Rangers. For Magyars of a certain vintage, the name ‘Nerlinger’ still sends shivers down the spine.

A trip to Hampden to face Queen’s Park remains a trip to Hampden nonetheless. The now famous Challenge Cup tie of 2012 is a game that lives long in the memory of anyone in attendance that evening. A delayed kick-off to allow the “bumper” crowd of 1,605 to take to their seats, should have forewarned spectators of the truly incredible game of football they had in store for them.

READ MORE: 'It isn't right' - Aberdeen boss Barry Robson calls out SPFL 

A youthful Queen’s side, bolstered by current Scotland Internationalists Andy Robertson & Lawrence Shankland, established a 4-2 lead. But with full-time approaching, up stepped Stuart Bannigan, who levelled the game with a shot from distance.

Chris Erskine, however, completely turned the game on its head moments later with a volley from the edge of the area beating Neil Parry all ends up. Queens Park 4-5 Partick Thistle - a hectic night at Hampden which served as a catalyst in Thistle going all the way to the final that year.

4,091 days on, Thistle would have their day at Hampden once again. Lying in wait, a Queen’s Park side still trying to find their feet under the tutelage of Robin Veldman. Over 2,000 Jags fans headed over to the Southside of Glasgow, expectant of a reaction to last week's dismal defeat to Dundee United. As evening descended upon the illuminated Hampden turf, the air of excitement was palpable. For many young supporters, the time had come, the moment they had patiently waited for was here - their first sampling of Thistle at Hampden.

The allure of playing at the National Stadium is not confined to those in the stands, this same energy is shared by those in the park as well. Evidenced in the goal from Tomi Adeloye, whose previous two strikes in red and yellow have been met with muted celebrations.

This time, upon finding the back of the net, the forward sprinted the width of the park, heading straight for the onlooking photographers, producing a knee-slide befitting of the 52,000-capacity stadium. The photograph in question, already taking pride of place on Tomi’s Instagram feed.

On the Anniversary week of the club's greatest day - the 4-1 trouncing of Celtic back in 1971 - many had hoped for a similar performance from Kris Doolan’s men. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be, honours even on the night, but it was the Spiders who were left rueing their missed opportunities. Thistle, somewhat spooked, were lucky to leave with a point, in what was very nearly a Halloween horror show.

With Thistle in dire need of a result, Tuesday night saw Lee Bullen’s Ayr United make the trip along the M77. The Honest men, however, would be without Jags loanee, Anton Dowds. The burly forward had been in imperious form since making the temporary switch to Somerset Park, notching three goals and providing one assist in his first 5 appearances for Ayr.

With the striker ineligible to play against his parent club, Bullen’s hopes were pinned on the tricks of Logan Chalmers to provide a treat for the travelling Ayrshire contingent.

The Jags went into the game boasting a 14-1 aggregate scoreline against the Honest men since Kris Doolan took over the reins at Firhill. Aaron Muirhead returned from suspension, replacing Kieran Ngwenya, who joins the ever-mounting injury list. Ben Williamson also came in for his first start since August.

The game itself finished with the same outcome as Friday night. A 2-2 draw with the points shared between the sides. Identical scoreline, but contrasting emotions at full-time as the Firhill faithful will feel aggrieved not to have taken all three points, having seen their side take the lead on two occasions.

The can has been kicked up to the road to Arbroath as Thistle - winless in their last four outings - head to Angus this weekend in search of a much-needed three points.