Just as a paradox seemed to be developing in Derek Adams’ second game in charge, in strode Jordan White to electrify the Global Energy Stadium.

The sponsors’ name had seemed apt all evening as the third bottom hosts produced fast and furious, high-energy football to create the lion’s share of the chances in Dingwall.

Time was ticking away towards a second scoreless draw of the Adams’ era despite the real attacking menace on show.

It seemed an unlikely outcome even from the opening seconds in Dingwall last night as the Highland hosts launched waves of high tempo attacking play at European contenders St Mirren.

But White’s flicked header from a corner with six minutes remaining settled it and lifted the Staggies from 10th to eighth in the Premiership table.

St Mirren remain third, but it was a costly loss of three points - and a third defeat in five games.

In the end, the hosts’ sheer will and endeavour saw them through after a clutch of chances went a-begging, the best to Connor Randall.

Adams’ third managerial bow at County had begun on Saturday with a scoreless draw at home to Kilmarnock.

There had been plenty of positivity voiced on the attacking play on show, but County were forced into a change up front after ex-Southampton man Josh Sims took ill before the game.

That paved the way for White’s return.

St Mirren had bounced back from a heavy beating by Dundee with a restorative home victory over Livingston, but looked ill at ease.

A minute’s silence to mark the passing of County legend Tommy ‘Tucker’ Thomson - a man who once nutmegged Rangers’ Scotland international Davie Provan in a 1966 Scottish Cup defeat - was prelude to a high-energy start from the hosts.

Dhanda’s early burst won an immediate corner and, soon after, a slack Marcus Fraser back header let Jordan White in for a crack at goal, held by keeper Zach Hemming.

Scott Allardice then saw another attempt deflected for a corner.

The frantic pace continued, St Mirren made a couple of counter-attacks, but it was all County.

Dhanda’s explosive turn of pace forced another corner inside 10 minutes with Saints desperately scrambling to clear their lines.

As he had on Saturday, Dhanda looked a class above at times, taking the ball at pace and weaving into space whenever he could.

For others, the ball fizzed off feet with far less composure.

St Mirren took respite from County’s siege and exerted some pressure amid an inevitable lull.

But, just past the half hour, Dhanda and Simon Murray again linked at speed on the right, before a whisked cross from the former only just eluded Jordan White in front of goal.

A fine Scott Tanser delivery into the home penalty area then found Jack Baldwin making a timely headed clearance from prowling Alex Grieve.

And it took a great leap and punch from keeper Hemming to thwart White close in after a dinked cross from Allardice.

For both managers, the half-time talk must have focused on finding that little extra bit of quality in and around the penalty area.

It was no less frenetic, but again Dhanda showed quality with two dangerous deliveries in quick succession that St Mirren defended well against Murray and White.

Moments later, a fine passing move saw Baldwin feed White, who then fed Randall, only for the Liverpulian’s low 20-yard drive through a crowd of bodies to strike the foot of the left hand post.

Then striker Murray went down in the away box under Alex Gogic’s attentions only for the off-side flag to spare Saints.

Just before the hour, Randall blew the chance of the game so far after a diagonal pass to the edge of the area was laid sideways by Murray.

Randall, in space, lost composure at the vital moment and lifted his attempt over the bar.

Another golden opportunity seemed to be passed up after 78 minutes.

Murray hit the bye-line and swept the ball across from the right where Ben Purrington hammered at goal.

Hemming made a superb save, although the offside flag was raised.

Perhaps Saints’ best chance came soon after.

McMenamin’s diagonal strike from the right flashed towards goal, only to be touched away for a corner by keeper Ross Laidlaw.

Then came White’s moment with six minutes remaining, a classic target man’s flick of the head to meet James Brown’s corner kick.

Howls for a home penalty came in stoppage time as Gogic seemed to down Slex Samuel, but Willie Collum waved claims away.