This is an extract from the One Team In Glasgow, an exclusive weekly take on Partick Thistle from Reiss Haldane.

Partick Thistle made the long journey to the Highlands for the second time in under a month as they faced off with Duncan Ferguson’s Inverness Caley Thistle side. The Jags would be looking to put last week’s Scottish Cup exit behind them by closing the gap on the division’s top two - who went toe-to-toe with each other in Friday night’s televised tie.

Kris Doolan made two changes to his starting XIfor the trip to the Caledonian Stadium with Wasiri Williams coming in at right-back for key man Jack McMillan, who finds himself sidelined through injury. There was also a full debut in red and yellow for Luke McBeth - the defensive midfielder making his first start in the senior game having made the jump from Glenafton at the turn of the year.

Despite a bright start to proceedings, the Jags found themselves a goal behind just shy of the half-hour mark. A switch of play found full-back Cammy Kerr in acres of space, allowing the Dundee loanee time to let off a scuffed effort goalwards and beyond the reach of the outstretched Jamie Sneddon. The Jags goalkeeper will no doubt be disappointed having let the tame effort trickle past him.

With Thistle leaving the field to a chorus of boos from the away end at half time, Kris Doolan would be looking for an instant reply to kickstart the second half. Unfortunately, matters went from bad to worse as the Jags were left with a mountain to climb just ten minutes after the restart.

Aaron Doran’s inswinging corner was lofted right on top of the Thistle goalkeeper who haphazardly misjudged the flight of the ball as he looked to punch clear, allowing Remi Savage to nod home on the goal-line. A first career goal for the former Newcastle United prospect to put his side two goals to the good - capitalising on yet another costly error from Sneddon in the Thistle goal.

The Jags would however find a route back into the game just after the hour mark through Aidan Fitzpatrick. The young Jags winger bringing down a loose ball in the area before firing low past a barricade of bodies in the Caley goalmouth. A ninth goal of the campaign for the academy graduate who continues his rich vein of form making it six goals involvements in seven games this calendar year.

The Jags were awarded a penalty with just under 15 minutes left to play when referee Grant Irvine adjudged Nathan Shaw to have fouled Scott Robinson inside the box after he was caught sleeping at a quick free-kick. Up stepped Thistle Captain Brian Graham, sending Mark Ridgers the wrong way to restore parity. The Jags number nine putting his past penalty woes behind him to become the first Jag since Jimmy Bone to net 15 competitive goals in three consecutive seasons.

With Thistle back on level terms and now in the ascendency, Doolan’s men looked most likely to go on and grab a winner when they were hit with the cruelest of sucker punches. The old adage that you’re most vulnerable when you’ve just scored proved to be the case as Inverness broke upfield, finding the back of the net through Shaw’s near post strike to put the hosts back in front just 60 seconds after Thistle had drawn level.

However Thistle weren’t to be discouraged, as they battled to ensure their trip north wasn’t fruitless.

Doolan decided to throw caution to the wind with a change of shape that allowed the aerial threat of Dan O’Reilly to be brought into play. The change in formation proved pivotal as the overlapping run from Lewis Neilson opened up space to allow Steven Lawless to get his cross into the box.

A series of headers ensued before the ball broke for Graham to arrow a first time left-footed volley into the top corner to draw the Jags level again. A 12th league goal of the campaign for the veteran striker to put himself back into pole position in the Championship golden boot race.

In the end it was Big Dunc’s Caley that clung on to a point having seen midfielder Max Anderson shown a straight red card for a high-foot challenge on Thistle’s McBeth. Ultimately, the Maryhill Magyars just ran out of time as Doolan’s men chased a late winner which looked a certainty if only there was an extra five minutes to be played.

A mixed bag of emotions for the Jags supporters who travelled back down the A9 buoyed having seen their team show tremendous character to fight back from behind to gain a point but in turn frustrated having fumbled the opportunity to close the gap on both Raith Rovers and Dundee United in their continued push for promotion.