Following back-to-back triumphs over Greenock Morton and Arbroath, Partick Thistle welcomed highland opposition to Firhill in the form of Inverness Caledonian Thistle as the Jags looked to extend their winning run.

Despite the rich vein of form, the Maryhill outfit have had more than their fair share of injury woes to contend with as of late with the likes of Jamie Sneddon, Dan O’Reilly, Wasiri Williams, Stuart Bannigan and Tomi Adeloye all sidelined.

Kris Doolan was dealt a further blow this past weekend as Kerr McInroy joined the ever-growing list of bodies on the treatment table whilst back-up striker Ricco Diack was absent through illness. This allowed midfielder Ben Stanway back into the starting eleven for his first start since the 2nd of January, which in turn opened up a space on the bench for young forward Cieran Loney, who became the youngest-ever player to be included in a matchday squad for Thistle - a mere two weeks on from his 16th birthday. A merited inclusion for the prodigious Loney, with his performances for the Jags youth sides already garnering the attention of English Premier League powerhouses in Everton and Brighton to name but a few.

Duncan Ferguson’s Caley Jags find themselves in the relegation play-off danger zone with their season being plagued with too many draws. The three previous meetings between Thistle and Inverness this term had all finished level with neither side able to come out on top.

However, there would be a separation between the sides on this occasion. A ferocious strike from Stanway was too hot to handle for Mark Ridgers, as he could only parry the ball to the feet of the onrushing Scott Robinson who duly slotted the rebound under the goalkeeper to send the Harry Wraggs a goal to the good. The tenacious Robinson continued his rise to prominence in Doolan’s side with his fourth goal in red and yellow.

Despite a second yellow card for Dundee loanee Cammy Kerr that saw the visitors reduced to ten men, Big Dunc’s side remained undeterred as they threw the kitchen sink at Thistle in their quest for an equaliser. A nervy end to the game for the home support as they watched on with bated breath but the Jags stood resolute to make it three wins on the bounce whilst recording back-to-back clean sheets for only the second time this campaign.

The defensive solidity shown by Thistle in recent weeks is a far cry from the swashbuckling football we’d come to expect from Doolan’s side that often left the back door open.

The key component in steadying the backline has been the decision to move Luke McBeth from midfield into the heart of the defence. The January addition from Glenafton had brought real grit and determination to the Thistle midfield but the switch to centre-half has proved a masterstroke from Doolan. The commanding presence of McBeth continues to exceed all expectations in his role as understudy to the experienced Aaron Muirhead. At the time of his arrival, many onlookers questioned the decision to bring in someone with zero experience in the professional game but with the player's confidence growing with each passing week the 24-year-old looks as though he was born to play at this level - as evidenced by winning the clubs Player of the Month award for February and being nominated once more for March’s gong.

The three points helped to further consolidate Thistle’s grip on third place - a spot which the Jags have now occupied for a whopping six months straight. The unique 25 game run extends the clubs all-time record of maintaining a position outwith outright top or bottom spot.

After picking up shutout victories against the division’s bottom two, the Jags now prepare for a Fife double header as they gear up for away trips to Dunfermline Athletic and Raith Rovers respectively, with hopes of building up a head of steam with the promotion play-offs looming large.